Marty Hurley

This belongs here as well as where it was originally posted on dci history

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/20...school_ban.html

great... I doubt that many Louisiana educators understand the tremendous domino effect that is represented by the Hurley Brothers - The Bobby Thompson method of percussion education is firmly a part of their history and helped make them both most successful.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights and the Syracuse Brigadiers were most fortunate to have Bobby producing people like the Hurley's (and a whole bunch of other future instructors)... The entire history of drum corps and marching band has been influenced by the domino effect from this one man. I am most priviledged to have known Bobby Thompson - even if I was "just" a young horn player at the time.

Bobby Thompson was the King... guys like the Hurley brothers, Joe Wormworth, Dick Mercurio (WDC hall of fame class of 2010) and a host of others were the princes... and they passed on to generations that followed like Mark Thurston... the dominos continue to fall...

What a small world.

Nearly two week ago I attended a drum/percussion teachers clinic that was sponsored by Vic Firth. The event was held the day after the Percussive Arts Society's International Convention (more to follow concerning PASIC).

Stanton Moore, one of the top players and clinicians in the world, was there and mentioned that he targeted Brother Martin for high school because he had heard that there was a pretty good drum instructor there. He spoke warmly about Marty, and the effect that his time with him had not only on his playing, but his professional development as well.

I mentioned Bobby's impact on Marty and several in the room of about 150, knew about Mr. Thompson's work and his development of not only exceptional rudimential drummers, but guys like Steve Gadd that went on to successful drumming careers as well.

I'll make sure that Stanton gets the web link about Marty.

Regards, Gary