Birmingham Review

Guest mafields627

Guest mafields627

Ok, this is my first review, so please be kind.

First a bit about the school, Spain Park High School is in a bueautiful setting surrounded by hills. Unfortunately, the home side was facing into the sun. I had to watch the first three corps with one eye covered by my program. Next year, start it after dark.

First up was Memphis Sound. Overall a good sound for a first year corps. The opening soloists need some big time work. Cacks all over the place. A couples of falls during the first piece. Good low brass sound throughout the program. Others have said this program is over their head, I tend to agree. The forms weren't hitting but I'm sure that will be fixed. I placed them third with a 57.5, the got third with a 50.35.

Next was Scenic City. Corps was very small and the music didn't do too much for me. Only TWO guard members, who stood for more than half the show. C'mon and do some recruiting. They spend way too much time going over the sideline. As small as they are, you can keep them in bounds. I placed them fourth with a 42.5, they received fourth with a 41.00

Third up was Teal Sound. Great improvement over last year, although I think the Firebird was too much for them. One mellophone ensemble feature fell apart. Had some drill issues. I placed them in second with a 60.00 (I don't build up scores), they got second with a 47.00.

Last in II/III was Revolution. WOW! The first corps of the evening to elicit any kind of crowd response. I had never heard of their program before but it was catchy and I enjoyed it. Best guard of II/III. I had them in first with a 64.75, they got first with a 60.40.

First on in DI was Southwind. The new unis aren't bad from the stands. I was totally shocked and awed by this corps. They have a great sound and could do fairly well if they clean it. The Kachaturian stuff was some of my favorite of the evening. I placed them in fifth with a 67.75, they received fifth with a 58.55.

Next were the Madison Scouts. I have never been a Scout fan until tonight. Their white is so brilliant coming off the line, then they face backfield. When they finally turn to the front, the new green is striking. First really loud corps of the evening. Their drill was the best designed of the night. Their first soloist had some issues. Overall, it was the cleanest program of the evening. I thought they should be a little higher than the 68.90 awarded, as I gave them a 77.00.

Splitting the middle of DI was Spirit, the hometown corps. As much as I wanted their show to win, it just didn't do it. I was dissappointed in the drill, and like others have said, the entire show was just a little flat. The let it be me quote was weak. Have a horn player change into the uniform and let him play it. On the plus side, they have a good ensemble sound and Contras to die for. They were louder than the Scouts. Overall, the Bb's had darker louder sounds all night. I had them in third with 74.75, got third with a 66.55.

Next were the Glassmen. I liked their version of October better than Spirit's. I counted about four falls in the show. There were also some playing issues. While the show is more accessible than in past years, I think they will stay on the lower side of the top twelve this year. Addendum: My favorite guard of the evening. Great stuff! Mine: 4th, 73.25. They: Fourth, 64.95

On last were the Crossmen. Scouts had better watch out. The Crossmen have it all this year. Smoking hornline. When they get the drill under their feet better and elminate some of the falls they had tonight they should pass the Scouts. Now a word to the guard. Get them out of the grey spandex. Neither the males or females need to be in it, and I could see things on Males from half way up the stadium that shouldn't be seen at all. Had them in second with 75.5, got second with 66.90.

Thank you Scouts for a great victory concert. Ice Castles...oh Man. We could tell you've been watiting a while to do that. Also, thank you Spain Park for the full retreat. Got a great comment from my organ playing Episicopal friend. He liked the formality of it a lot.

Good review! I agree that The Glassmen are going to be somewhere in the 8th to 12th place range. I think they will probably score 10th as Spirit and Crossmen surpass them. I've heard they're a young corps this year. But I'm glad their show is more accessible.