A competition of many but a unity of one.

This will be my third summer marching, and i cant help but feel that the competiton side of things often depicts the activity. I marched Boston in 2009 and Madison in 2010 and will be marching again this year. I want to try a social experiment, but id like input from you DCPers.... I wanna create a "group" (ideally current marchers, who are DCPers) and have an interaction with each other to wear you dont just see the performance of a corps but you get to know the members of the corps as well. I am really having hard time wording this but basically I wanna try to befriend atleast ONE member of every corps, and get to know what being apart of that corps means to them... and in return i am sure it would give myself and others a different perspective in the activity, because we all give up something to march, and its great to hear what other people give up to march.....

Shoot me your opinions and if you have ideas that works.

Edited by Tee

I think it's a great idea...especially with the ease of communication these days. Back in the day, they had drum corps pen pals...and even though I wasn't marching at the time, I was in regular communicaton with my 10 or so pen pals (using actual paper, pen and snail mail). Of course it's not quite the same thing as they didn't know each other, but I got the perspective you are talking about....and sometimes I even got to meet them at a show. Some of them are still active in DCI...

Perhaps you should try contacting the corps directors and they wll share your idea with the members, and you could start making contacts that way. Just a thought...but I like your idea...

This will be my third summer marching, and i cant help but feel that the competiton side of things often depicts the activity. I marched Boston in 2009 and Madison in 2010 and will be marching again this year. I want to try a social experiment, but id like input from you DCPers.... I wanna create a "group" (ideally current marchers, who are DCPers) and have an interaction with each other to wear you dont just see the performance of a corps but you get to know the members of the corps as well. I am really having hard time wording this but basically I wanna try to befriend atleast ONE member of every corps, and get to know what being apart of that corps means to them... and in return i am sure it would give myself and others a different perspective in the activity, because we all give up something to march, and its great to hear what other people give up to march.....

Shoot me your opinions and if you have ideas that works.

This is a cool idea, and it reminds me of how DCI has opened the doors for the drum majors to get to know each other and network with each other by bringing all of us in for the seminar we had in January up in Indy. I'm really excited to get to see all of them in their natural habitat with their corps on tour. It's gonna be great!

Drum majors aside, most of my friends that I know in different corps are just friends from school. We have all had classes together at some point, and most of us were/are in marching band together. It's a lot of fun to run into them and see how their summers are going. This is especially true when one of my good friends is new to the activity and I get to watch them as they change from the experience of a DCI summer. Very, very cool.

Edited by BlooContraGuy