Drums Along the Suncoast Review

The Tampa Bay Thunder Drum and Bugle Corps would like to thank everyone who supported and attended "Drums along the Suncoast"

The Night:

The weather was fantastic with zero rain! This always helps!!! A great first year show and corps turn out with over 900 in the stands!

First up:

The Sun Devils are getting very prepared for their return next season and had brass ensemble attend to play the National Anthem. They looked and sounded fantastic!! Great job JJ and Sun Devils, we look forward to your speedy return in 2012 to DCA competition!

Next: The Florida Brass Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps: These people are amazing! They came with about 60 members and played old school drum corps to a great crowd! The crowd loved every second of them! These guys played for like 20 minutes and had a blast!

In competition:

Shenandoah Sound - With a small group they put out a great sound! After a few days at Disney they came to work! Great response for the crowd and the are improving everyday! Thank you for making the long trip to Tampa! SCORE 61.30

Carolina Gold - Wow, wow, and wow! This A Class team is hitting all the marks! This is a must see show! They sell this show from start to finish and I would look to see them at the top come Rochester! On another note. The staff, members and management team for Gold are a 10! They have been fantastic to the Thunder and have treated our members as if we have been in DCA for years! Thank you! SCORE 74.05

Host Corps - The Tampa Bay Thunder - Much improved since Manassas on July 2nd but a ton of work to do! A few spots to fill in the guard, (hint, hint) but fielding 36 brass, 32 percussion, 14 guard, 2 DM and a full honor guard for a total of 91 on the field we are getting better! Members did a great job and the crowd loved the show! We are looking forward to the next show August 6th in GA with our continued progress! SCORE 69.05 ( Up 6 points!)

Special thanks to Vic and the judges for coming to Florida!!!

Please visit www.tampabaythunder.org for pics and other detailed information.

It was a great weekend for Sound! On Friday we were the featured group in the Disney World Parade down main street. What a high! We spent some time at the park Saturday morning, followed by a very Hot, Hot, Hot! practice in the afternoon. The contest was well run. The field was in excellent condition. The evening weather was very pleasant. What more could you ask for but another day on Sunday in Disney!

It was great talking to JJ and John again. I do want to see the Sun Devils in DCA finals competition in Annapolis 2012.

Thanks Thunder for putting on a great show!

The Tampa Bay Thunder Drum and Bugle Corps would like to thank everyone who supported and attended "Drums along the Suncoast"

The Night:

The weather was fantastic with zero rain! This always helps!!! A great first year show and corps turn out with over 900 in the stands!

First up:

The Sun Devils are getting very prepared for their return next season and had brass ensemble attend to play the National Anthem. They looked and sounded fantastic!! Great job JJ and Sun Devils, we look forward to your speedy return in 2012 to DCA competition!

Next: The Florida Brass Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps: These people are amazing! They came with about 60 members and played old school drum corps to a great crowd! The crowd loved every second of them! These guys played for like 20 minutes and had a blast!

In competition:

Shenandoah Sound - With a small group they put out a great sound! After a few days at Disney they came to work! Great response for the crowd and the are improving everyday! Thank you for making the long trip to Tampa! SCORE 61.30

Carolina Gold - Wow, wow, and wow! This A Class team is hitting all the marks! This is a must see show! They sell this show from start to finish and I would look to see them at the top come Rochester! On another note. The staff, members and management team for Gold are a 10! They have been fantastic to the Thunder and have treated our members as if we have been in DCA for years! Thank you! SCORE 74.05

Host Corps - The Tampa Bay Thunder - Much improved since Manassas on July 2nd but a ton of work to do! A few spots to fill in the guard, (hint, hint) but fielding 36 brass, 32 percussion, 14 guard, 2 DM and a full honor guard for a total of 91 on the field we are getting better! Members did a great job and the crowd loved the show! We are looking forward to the next show August 6th in GA with our continued progress! SCORE 69.05 ( Up 6 points!)

Special thanks to Vic and the judges for coming to Florida!!!

Please visit www.tampabaythunder.org for pics and other detailed information.

Thanks for the kind words about the Brass.First time in front of a real Drum Corps crowd.Even with all the years of marching some jitters were evident,but all in all it was fun to be cheered for what we do.Anyone interested in joining our "all age ".."all talent level " group ..check out the website.Good people ,good music,great fun,time to reminisce about old times or just create more..Check us out...Bobby "BUGLE BOY" Burke.

• Like 2

Just want to add my 2 cents to "Bugle Boy." The crowd was great and even though it's been 40+ years since I did an all Drum Corps show, it felt incredible to be able to do that again. Like Bobby said, if you want to join, check out the website floridabrass.org, and come on down to Lakeland. We have tons of fun doing what we love.

• Like 1

It was an amazing night to say the least! The members and staff of Sound and Gold are 100% class. Thank you all for welcoming Thunder into DCA. Oh, and a special shout out to Gold's bottom bass drummer. Thanks for the love while we cadenced you guys on for retreat! I'll be rooting for you guys in Rochester!

Edited by TheWhacker

Nice well attended show - full stands. Great job by Thunder to organize a complete great event including the BOA announcer, full retreat, trouping the stands, good food ( I had a nice rib sandwich ). Too bad that CorpVets and Alliance could not contribute to this DCA South event. anyway ....

Show Review

Sun Devils Ensemble in G - Star Bangled Banner was very nice with the TBT honor guard. DCA touch of old school.

Florida Brass - Alumni exhibition - large brass group with small percussion section. Play some very nice music that I can't remember for the life of me except the closer was Brazil. they have some great player in that line and having a very good time. Mike, the guard guy, is a great one man show. Only technical advice I would give is to put percussion behind the brass and link the brass together.

Shenandoah Sound - They have a nice complete show with solid work in all sections. I haven't seen them since 2009 but with more members they could be a player. Nice improvements. congrats and I heard they did a great job at Disney.

Carolina Gold - wow.... Needs cleaning but....wow. Previously I thought they were known for just clean drill but now they have big brass sound with a screamer and a smokin big battery. Of course I haven't seen the other top Class A corps but these guys are top 1-2 at least. Just needs cleaning I think.

Tampa Bay Thunder - heard all the stories and the rumors but I am hear to tell ya they are for real. Complete show was good. I need to remember they are a 1st year corps and they looked like a 3rd year corps. I can't tell you about GE and demand as I always seem to get that wrong. They have big battery 7/3/5 plus marching cymbals and with 36ish horns with a big pit and medium size guard. The show was a mariner theme and the guard uni's plus extras showed that. Percussion battery was pretty good and I was expecting major dirt with 7 snares and 3 tenors but it was not to be. they spread the field out well on a percussion feature. The front ensemble sound did not penetrate from my vantage point and brass could use some more dynamics. I think the music is good but I don't remember seeing the guard all that much. I may have been concentrating on other sections so don't shoot me just yet. I know this section of the review is lengthy but this is the corps I came to see and I do see good things coming. big congrats.

all in all it was a good show - and I hope to see more DCA South corps next year.