Cavaliers so called "gimmicks".

I have also thought the same about Cadets 2000. If the behind-the-back tenor feature on the front sideline didn't happen, kiss that championship goodbye.

Then I decided that was foolish. There's plenty more less gimmicky stuff that deserves the merit they deserved. Good musicianship and visuals.

Every corps has gimmicks. However, no corps has gimmicks. If one is enamored with a certain corps' show, their gimmicks are perceived as show elements that contribute to the overall total show package. If one doesn't care for a certain corps' show, their show elements that contribute to the overall total show package are perceived as gimmicks.

When effective, gimmicks become show elements that contribute to the overall total show package; when not effective, show elements that contribute to the overall total show package become gimmicks.

What about when a "gimmick" gets overused, like the Blue Devils body movement during the drum features? And then it spills into other shows the next year because designers think that's what the judges want to see? It's the most blatant copying of material for the appeal to the judges that I've ever seen.

Many corps used that in the past 3 years or so and I think we're starting to get away from it.

• Like 1

What about when a "gimmick" gets overused...?

When a gimmick gets over-used, it starts losing its effectiveness. When it's no longer effective, the lack of effectiveness starts taking care of itself because designers won't employ it as much because it's "jumped the shark."

What are some gimmicks over the years that have "jumped the shark" in the opinion of our readers?

What are some gimmicks over the years that have "jumped the shark" in the opinion of our readers?

The "Bug Squash" leg move by a certain east coast corps.

• Like 3

Cadets' DNA drill

Z-pull (a long time ago) --- but when it was brought back, people enjoyed it.

Body movement in drum features, but now we see it more within the hornline

....what's a bug squash?

I know I've posted several things about "gimmicks" recently, particularly in my review of the Cavies performance in Rockford. Just to be clear: I very much like the Cavies show so far, I really enjoy the so-called "gimmicks" in their show--I included it as a positive element in my review, but maybe that wasn't clear--and I embrace the term "gimmick" as a value-neutral label for a certain type of design element which draws attention in an unusual way (ie, not through superior excellence in marching, playing, spinning, etc). In my lexicon, not all gimmicks work out well, and a bad gimmick hurts a show more than than a good gimmick helps.

If this isn't All About MeTM, then I pre-emptively apologize for my all-consuming ego :doh: . But I do want to throw in my thoughts about "gimmicks" as part of drum corps in any case.

Just this year, there are all kinds of "gimmicks" in my understanding of that word: Crown climbing all over the trusses, Cavies playing upside down, Cadets' glow stick fight, Blue Devils building a house, Phantom guard member ascending the DM podium, Blue Stars' scaffolding, Bluecoats' pit member going out to do a rifle toss, Vanguard's MM trapped in a sea of guard, Blue Knights' retro drill, Boston's see-through sheet, Madison's callback to previous shows in the opening fanfare, Glassmen's synth hits, Troopers' road and infinity chord, Spirit's lightposts and gunshot, Cascades' boxes. I love almost all of those things. If you don't want to call them gimmicks, okay, but that's what I mean when *I* say gimmick, and for the most part I love gimmicks. Bring them on! :w00t:

Every corps has gimmicks. However, no corps has gimmicks. If one is enamored with a certain corps' show, their gimmicks are perceived as show elements that contribute to the overall total show package. If one doesn't care for a certain corps' show, their show elements that contribute to the overall total show package are perceived as gimmicks.

When effective, gimmicks become show elements that contribute to the overall total show package; when not effective, show elements that contribute to the overall total show package become gimmicks.

Okay, Boo said it better than I did. :thumbup:

• Like 1

This is scary. I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet and this STILL made perfect sense! How'd you do that? :blink:

I think one thing is for sure...

People shouldnt take offense to the term "Gimmicks". EVERYONE has their gimmicks. Some are more memorable than others. But hey, if it works, great!

Some "Gimmicks" are "Stolen" and people get all up in arms. like the "Spinning bass drums" used once in WGI by Northcoast academy and later by the Blue Devils. So many concepts are used by many corps so it seems silly to call a corps "thieves" for doing something thats been "done before".

Take an older example: Backsticking.

Who was the VERY first snareline to throw out some back sticking?

Drumlines are still doing it today. Are they "Thieves"? Is it a "Gimmick"?

No. It just becomes incorporated into the idiom. Box rotation, behind the back catch, ripple tosses, hornline crab step, its all been done somewhere and someone had to do it "First".

In the cavaliers case, these "Gimmicks" are the next step in the evolution of a previous "Gimmick".

Rhythm-X stood on their drums. In 2008, Rhythm-X had the snare drummers physically hold the quads and do different drill while the quad players played them.

The blue devils had something similar, but held the drums vertical so it was like "Drumming on a wall" while doing some rotating drill.

Without those "Gimmicks" coming first, the CAvaliers probably dont ever get here.

Like the Back stick probably led to "Spyder sticking". Just let the "Gimmicks" be the "Gimmicks", enjoy them if they fit (like the CAvaliers do) and just enjoy the ride!