Does DCI still have a best drum major type award?

I am wondering if DCI still has a best drum major leadership type award. I know that when I taught Magic they still did, and that drum major (Matt)went to march in the color guard at Cavaliers and teaches guard now in DCI after the corps folded.

If there is one...I hope they consider Jacqui Bilder from Pioneer. She is a seven year veteran of the corps...the last 5 in leadership positions that I am sure of. She has been a member of Pioneer since 2005. She was the soprano section leader in 2007, and drum major since. She has been a true leader for the corps through good times and bad and ages out on her "extra" year after next week.

I dont know how the "leadership" award gets picked, but if I did I would lobby hard for Jacqui Bilder!

If you see her, congratulate her on her drum corps carreer. She is an awesome person.

Donny Allen

Pioneer Staff

1998, 1999, 2000, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010.

• Like 1

There is an award for Drum Majors. It is called the Jim Jones Leadership award. Named after the Troopers long time director and one of the founding fathers of Drum Corps International.

It is administered by a committee made up of DCI Hall of Fame members. These guys take their job seriously. Not only do they observe the DM's on the field in front of the corps, they also observe them in other settings.

There is also a formal interview as part of the selection process. They consider all DM's in both the World Class and the Open Class. For the past several years, they have picked at least one from each class.

Many DM's are outstanding individuals. Picking one as the best of the best has got to be a tough job.

Well...I hope they interview this one because she IS the best!