Review Chesapeake, VA

OK, here is Malibu's review from the Chesapeake, VA show....she says: sorry if it sounds like a judge's tape; and here is it! (Malibu is unable to post on DCP at this time)

TEAL SOUND

Opened pretty good sound wise with so few horns. I saw many problems with the feet throughout the program. Interesting concept with drum spread in one of the #....although it could be hurting them too. Guard has most of their work in ....but they need to clean and complete the exit.

LEHIGH VALLEY KNIGHTS

As you all know their equipment truck was involved in a major accident on the way to this show. With the help of many drum corps through out and the hosting high school band, they managed to field a corps last night. It must be tough to get used to someone else's equipment. Opening guard statement was pretty good. In one number the guard does a battle scene, I really didn't care for the staging of it....look muddled. Ava Maria sound nice and controlled but the guard had incomplete work. They did not have their exit in last night.

SCENIC CITY

2 in the guard, 18 horns, 15 drums and 1 DM. Ummm....Horns sound like they have a rough time moving & playing at the same time. Their sound is really weak.....could use more support with more members in the guard.....two just doesn't cut it IMO. I realize they are only Div.lll, but they should have at least 5 guard members out there. When the hornline stands still, their sound isn't too bad but couldn't hear the melody. They need to work on feet execution throughout, especially the exit. Guard only contributed twice.....the rest of the time they did nothing.

CAROLINA CROWN

Nice opening sound & move....very spread out. One thing I did noticed, their guard has mucho improved over last year! They use some of the most gorgeous flag designs in their show. However, their sabres need to work on toss heights. I would have to say, they were the best guard last night....haven't seen the recaps yet.

During the drum break, the drill is still rough but you can see it has potential. I really liked the set with the guard up front during "Carol of the Bells." With the hornline now wearing cream colored shoes, the feet errors are screaming at you. Uniforms look nice, BUT if they want to score higher in the visual area, they need to work on those feet. Last song seemed like it could use more punch in the end.

BLUECOATS

Nice mysterious opening with the trumpet solo's dispersed on the field. Very good marching through out..... liked the visuals from the hornline, especially in the ballad....well thoughtout. Interesting music effect with the 4 blocks across the field. Their exit is a little rough, but is going to be nice.

CROSSMEN

DM is not wearing the new design we all saw....they are wearing the hornline uni for now. The word is, the uniform isn't like they picture and they are trying to get it right.

Nice solo job in the opener...glad to see the drill open up a little more. Their hornline is VERY LOUD! Guard much better in the performance than they were at rehearsal. Wall of rainbow colors look nice....it will look better once they are done with it.

Like the horn drill block thing happening in the back. Count Bubba sounds like something the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta would play.......IT ROCKS!

Towards the end the drill started to bother me.....I know they were passed out drill sheets the day before the show, but the base drums wondering over to one set while the rest of the corps was standing still didn't look right. I know it's still "in the works." Snares have a nice visual moment with the "running hanging drums" .....however, they really need to clean it.....sound wise. With 10 snares all running and playing their drums while playing something in front of them moving too, is going to take time.

The ending for guard IMO really needs to be rewritten. They are using 7 foot poles at a 5 step interval....with all the foot directional changes, they are crashing and burning!

I seriously think they should either, a) open up the intervals to help with clarity AND with the confidence that they won't get smacked or B) go to a shorter pole....which I know they aren't because they are making gorgeous flags for the exit.

After Crossmen jammed on the sideline in their exit and held a long sustaining note to get everyone up, my 7 yr. old son turned to his dad (a Crossmen alumni too) and sad, "That's the loudest music I have ever heard!"

It was apparent that Crossmen was definitely the crowd favorite for the night.