Scoring elements

As a relative newcomer to DCP and drum corps, I sort of picked up stuff here and then on the forum and am wondering how much is right and what is wrong.

Drops don't count, I read early on. A recent thread suggested that stumbles and falls don't either, if the recovery is fast. But missing a dot does, even if there's a fast recovery?

What about fraks (...if that's the right slang term...)? For example, the Colts' solo trumpeter messed up the ballad a bit at semis in 2009. (On the video and DVD, his good quarterfinals audio was evidently patched in.) Would that have affected the corps' score on semis night?

I guess my only observation would be that the fewer "rub of the green" elements there are in the scoring, the more stable the scores will be. How you see that depends on where you stand.

As a relative newcomer to DCP and drum corps, I sort of picked up stuff here and then on the forum and am wondering how much is right and what is wrong.

Drops don't count, I read early on. A recent thread suggested that stumbles and falls don't either, if the recovery is fast. But missing a dot does, even if there's a fast recovery?

What about fraks (...if that's the right slang term...)? For example, the Colts' solo trumpeter messed up the ballad a bit at semis in 2009. (On the video and DVD, his good quarterfinals audio was evidently patched in.) Would that have affected the corps' score on semis night?

I guess my only observation would be that the fewer "rub of the green" elements there are in the scoring, the more stable the scores will be. How you see that depends on where you stand.

I think "doesn't count" is not accurate.

Perhaps it would be better to say there are no longer "automatic pre-defined deductions" for those sorts of events. Poor execution still results in poor scoring.