Wanna march euphonium, but don't know how

Benapp

I'm 15 and have been playing atlo sax for 5 years. I really want to march euph in a drum corp, but don't know where to start. I've heard of people doubling trombone and euphonium, so could I learn to play trombone and be just as experienced auditioning on a euph? Or do I just learn to play a concert euph altogether (or get one of those convertible euphs I've seen)? OR, should I just play mellophone since it would be better suited to my prior experience on the alto sax?

As a woodwind player, you're free to go whatever direction you want on brass. Playing alto will not help or hurt you at trumpet, mello, bari, euph, or tuba.

Trombone isn't a step towards learning bari/euph; it's more like a detour or side trip. It is totally possible to learn bari/euph without ever going onto a trombone; the only similarity is the embouchure. If you want to learn trombone as a side trip, though, then by all means go for it.

A concert euph will serve you perfectly well for learning how to play; getting a convertible would be entirely unnecessary. A set of 3 or 5 pound wrist weights (use only the left one, or put both weights on your left wrist) is a good start for learning how to hold it.

If you want to play Euphonium in a Drum Corps, I would start out with your High School Band and playing euphonium in it. Both marching and Concert band. Learning Trombone would just be another obstacle in my opinion. Start receiving lessons (your Music Teacher(s) or local music stores should be able to set you up with a tutor) and practice practice practice. I'm assuming you're a Treble Clef reader since you play Sax, So i would recommend Playing Baritone T.C. parts or start learning bass clef.

• Like 1

If you want to play Euphonium in a Drum Corps, I would start out with your High School Band and playing euphonium in it. Both marching and Concert band. Learning Trombone would just be another obstacle in my opinion. Start receiving lessons (your Music Teacher(s) or local music stores should be able to set you up with a tutor) and practice practice practice. I'm assuming you're a Treble Clef reader since you play Sax, So i would recommend Playing Baritone T.C. parts or start learning bass clef.

Learn to read bass clef. It isn't hard and remember, pianists have to read both treble and bass at the same time!