G bugle and bB trumpet

Mapleseed

Does anyone of you encounter adjustment difficulties when playing a B flat trumpet in the school's band and playing the G bugle during a corps' camp?  I've heard trumpet teachers complaining about their student's intonation and timbre when these students return from drum corps camps.  Some players say that they find it a bit difficult to "retrieve" the feel and place of resonance when they pick up the trumpet after playing the bugle.  Does playing the bugle hinder a trumpet player's progress?  Any suggestions to make the "transition" smoother, without hurting the improvement on both instruments?  Thanks in advance.

Takes me about a day to adjust back to Bb. Granted I've only done it a few camps, but yeah. If you think about what you're doing, the effects make sense... different key of horn, different bore size, different handling, different intonation, all that crap. Changes your approach some. I imagine baritones who play trombone outside of corps would have the biggest level of difficulty switching back.

• 4 weeks later...

I always found my trumpet playing to be much more solid after playing a bugle at a camp. .459" vs. .470" on the bugle just makes the trumpet a little easier to play. Air's moving, I'm consciously thinking about slotting notes, and the obvious: I just played a brass instrument for 24 hours in two days. The pitch thing never bothered me. It usually takes about 5 minutes to turn the knob to the right a minor 3rd.