Computer-generated Drill Design

No, I'm saying that people wouldn't want computers to design shows because those that are invested in the activity are creative people and want to create the shows themselves. You think that DCI designers want a computer to do all the work? No way, they enjoy the creative process and that's why there will never be a need for this kind of software.

This opens up a whole other sort of philosophical discussion on what is creativity and is this something that is uniquely human.

Creativity is essentially selecting an uncommon option, from a pool of available options, that produces a unique or generally favorable result.

In many ways, computers can be more creative than humans, again, due to the ability to create truly random expression.

• Like 1

You assume that pure randomness is good, however.

For a computer-designed drill to truly be effective, the music design, flow, and impacts must be taken into consideration. Not even mentioning the ideas behind comprehensive visual design (guard integration with work, what ideas are you conveying?, how are you transitioning from one moment to the next moment?, does it proceed logically?, do we "see" what we hear and vise-versa?)

What I am suggesting is the potential ability for random consideration, but more practical use would be weighted algorithms to determine most contextually appropriate shape/movement/transition/etc. with human selection and determination of actual outcome.

Consider the human factor in this as more of a curator, selecting which of the generated "choose your own adventure" paths is most to their liking.

• Like 1

Daniel: Gotta luv ya, guy, but you may be thinking too hard lately. :tongue:

Okay, according to the red minus, maybe he's not thinking hard enough. I can't tell anymore.

• Like 2

Okay, according to the red minus, maybe he's not thinking hard enough. I can't tell anymore.

I wouldn't let the whole +/- thing get to you at all. Seems to me it often has nothing to do with the content of your post, and if it does, no idea which part of the post is the generating such a response.

Here, watch this...

I love DCA, unicorns, rainbows, robots and ice cream.

Kittens, I'm not all that fond of.

• Like 1

You're way too hung up on the +/- thing. :shutup:

• Like 1

I wouldn't let the whole +/- thing get to you at all. Seems to me it often has nothing to do with the content of your post, and if it does, no idea which part of the post is the generating such a response.

Here, watch this...

I love DCA, unicorns, rainbows, robots and ice cream.

Kittens, I'm not all that fond of.

I agree with you. I love America, but I hate cauliflower. There...let's see what that does.

• Like 4

You're way too hung up on the +/- thing. :shutup:

Not hung up as much as trying to convey I don't quite grasp the purpose of it all, at least in its present implementation. I can see it keeping some from stating what they really think in order that they don't get an overall negative rating. I've got a plus rating that is over 1,000, so I'm not going to lose sleep over a few negative reds. But what about someone that is close to zero? Might they be more inclined to not speak their mind because they don't want people to see that their rating is in the dumper? It was an intriguing idea, but it has potential for harm and for stifling honest discussion. I think that's the point I've been trying to make, even if I wasn't making it clearly.

• Like 3

The topic on computer-based adjudication got me thinking...

Given the current state of technology, it is certainly possible to have reasonably practical computer-generated drill design.

In order to develop the initial intelligence of the system, you would simply need to enter musical scores and drill from historical periods, tagged by style, time period, level of difficultly, designer, etc.

(Let's say you upload Pyware files + midi files and annotate)

The more files there, the smarter the system would be.

The files would then be parsed for common patterns in shapes, movement and shape transitions that correspond to common patterns in musical score.

By comparing these patterns in clusters, based on grouping of similar tags, you can identifying unique sub-patterns within the tag pairings. This would give you the essentially a library of shapes, movement and shape transitions associated with both the specific musical patterns and tag pairings.

You would then just set up a sort of selection algorithm and an exclusion pool (you would basically have 2 pools... global and user based). The user would basically be able to add to their personal exclusion pool of shape, movement and transition options, where the computer would then either select the next most common shape, movement or transition type or the user could select to generate a random one from the library. Once a transition was excluded by a specific number of users, it would be automatically added to the global exclusion pool for the tag pairings.

Anyway, this could be quite interesting... mostly for school band programs that cannot afford a great designer and as a training tool for young designers. This really wouldn't be all that complicated... would be a great graduate CS project for an ambitious and analytical student.

It's defiantly a possibility... If you look at windows media player, and the wavelengths that are outputted with the color and contrast of the music, it provides a general overview on what the music is doing, from its high points to the lows... It is defiantly possible to do that. The problem with this though, you take away from the originality portion of the arranger/directors, when you do this. So it may or may not work...

P.S. thanks for the idea for my capstone project. I really want to look into doing this now.

Edited by Kevin Melkowski

It's defiantly a possibility... If you look at windows media player, and the wavelengths that are outputted with the color and contrast of the music, it provides a general overview on what the music is doing, from its high points to the lows... It is defiantly possible to do that. The problem with this though, you take away from the originality portion of the arranger/directors, when you do this. So it may or may not work...

P.S. thanks for the idea for my capstone project. I really want to look into doing this now.

WMP is an interesting example of some of the concepts (algorithms were actually based on some of the writings of relationship of sound to line, rhythm, shape, color, texture... by Vassily Kandinsky).

The purpose of this tool would not be really to replace top designers associated with top programs in the activity, but to raise the minimum level of quality in the programs with the least amount of resources.

Anyway, if you are seriously interested in this... there are great pattern recognition algorithms for cryptography and machine translation that would be interesting for inspiration.

WMP is an interesting example of some of the concepts (algorithms were actually based on some of the writings of relationship of sound to line, rhythm, shape, color, texture... by Vassily Kandinsky).

The purpose of this tool would not be really to replace top designers associated with top programs in the activity, but to raise the minimum level of quality in the programs with the least amount of resources.

Anyway, if you are seriously interested in this... there are great pattern recognition algorithms for cryptography and machine translation that would be interesting for inspiration.

Oh yeah, I'm defiantly interested in this now; I'm actually a dual CS/Math major, so it would be awesome to try and put this into effect.