DCI Vlog

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested?

• Sure!
    • Nope.

I figured it was implied that this was only if I made the corps, it would be hard to vlog if I wasn't on tour. Also, I auditioned last year and got 1's in both the visual and music part of my audition however I couldn't go to the call back camp due to All-state. I believe I have a good chance but I realize nothing is guaranteed.

Also @wcmello09

They still have their cell phone policy however allow them on free days.

Edited by oOTrumpetOo
  • Like 2

I figured it was implied that this was only if I made the corps, it would be hard to vlog if I wasn't on tour. Also, I auditioned last year and got 1's in both the visual and music part of my audition however I couldn't go to the call back camp due to All-state. I believe I have a good chance but I realize nothing is guaranteed.

They still have their cell phone policy however allow them on free days.

Well, it wasn't implied from the other end and I (and I suspect others as well) would encourage you to reign things in a bit. You wouldn't want to jeopardize your chances of making the corps by appearing to state to others that you've already made it. Corps staffs don't look kindly on such bravado when they have a few hundred other applicants to choose from, applicants who are eager to put their own personal goals on hold to be part of the team. Like it or not, you've kind of given the impression that you are interested in doing something quite individualistic, apart from what everyone else is doing, and this is even before you've made the corps. And by stating that you ARE beginning your DCI career with Cavaliers this December, you've given the indication that you're prone to taking things for granted.

All the above impressions on my part could be very, very wrong, and not at all what you had in mind. However, impressions are often reality in the minds of those who are in charge of passing judgment on whether or not you'll be invited to sign a contract with the corps.

I wish you nothing but success here, but I would be amiss if I didn't also strongly encourage you to lay low...very low...between now and the completion of the audition camps.

• Like 3

One more thing: In your poll question, you started by asking us, the members of DCP, if we would be interested in such a blog. Personally, I'd be deeply interested. However, I would further encourage all corps members and prospective members to first ask their corps managements if THEY would be interested in any idea before broaching it with the outside world. It's proper protocol and while managements aren't out to control your brain, they are owed the courtesy of knowing about something first if what you would be doing would be representing the corps.

By "courtesy," I in no way mean to imply that you are not being courteous. I would suggest, though, that you might have a different perspective on how corps work once you're a member.

[Edited for typo.]

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

From experience I can say that if you make the corps you will have very little "me" time. Especially in your first year it will be all you can do to keep up with the vets. I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, and you didn't "imply" anything in your original post. You stated it as if it were fact.

• Like 4

Good luck with your audition process! I understand you're excited and rightfully so. However, realize that even though you're currently a high school student, the level of maturity and professionalism required of you will be equal to that of a 22 year old preparing to graduate college. The enthusiasm is fantastic. Channel it more productively in the future lest you miss your shot this season. You don't want to appear to anyone as a typical high school "bando": easily excitable, little foresight, tactless. Rather, you want to be perceived as a mature, professional young adult. A young adult won't walk into a room bragging of their all-state experiences, however impressive. They'll perform what is asked of them, ask for improvement, internalize it, and become better.

• Like 1

Obviously there has been a little confusion so allow me to clarify.

I don't think I've already made the corps, nor am I very cocky. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I'm often intimidated once I show up to auditions. However, my success from my audition last year has given me some confidence for my upcoming audition.

Also, my intention was not to behave as if I already have made the corps and I apologize that I have left that impression on the DCP community, I realize I haven't been given a contract yet and on top of that, my audition is my first priority. Not some vlog that I am only considering.

When I said that I start my journey with The Cavaliers in December, I was referring to the round 1 audition which is in December.

and finally, if I was to make a vlog, it wouldn't be something that represents the corps as much as it would represent what tour life is like. That being said, I still would be sure to clear it with corps management before I actually started posting videos which I had stated before. I also wouldn't even start posting until after I make the corps...if I make it.

P.S - I'm not in High School.

Edited by oOTrumpetOo
  • Like 1

Obviously there has been a little confusion so allow me to clarify.

I don't think I've already made the corps, nor am I very cocky. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I'm often intimidated once I show up to auditions. However, my success from my audition last year has given me some confidence for my upcoming audition.

Also, my intention was not to behave as if I already have made the corps and I apologize that I have left that impression on the DCP community, I realize I haven't been given a contract yet and on top of that, my audition is my first priority. Not some vlog that I am only considering.

When I said that I start my journey with The Cavaliers in December, I was referring to the round 1 audition which is in December.

and finally, if I was to make a vlog, it wouldn't be something that represents the corps as much as it would represent what tour life is like. That being said, I still would be sure to clear it with corps management before I actually started posting videos which I had stated before. I also wouldn't even start posting until after I make the corps...if I make it.

P.S - I'm not in High School.

It's good to know you're not in high school. Teacher gloves off.

You have the wrong attitude about this. There was no need for clarification. Simply a "thank you" and internalization of the advice given. That's it. End of story.

• Like 2

There was no advice given to me that I hadn't already conidered with the exception of Michael Boo's suggestion to talk to corps management.

...seriously?

• Like 2