Sousaphone Question

randomnoise

In your opinion, what is the best sousaphone on the market? Is there a decent 4 valve?

Conn 20K hands down

Jupiter and Dynasty make 4 valve sousaphones, but I don't know much about the quality. I don't think sousaphones really need 4 valves but some people consider that an important feature. The Conn 20K is of course the standard, and the King sousaphone is a good one too; the Conn is the larger of the two horns. When we went out to the Elkhart plan we talked to them about ideas for a System Blue 4 valve sousaphhone, which I think would be a great instrument if it's of the quality of the other SB horns.

"Sousaphone", "Tuba", "Contra"....they were all designed to play below the baritone scale. Old John Phillip had a great idea, but if I had my choice I would go more with the Drum Corps "Contra" design. I've noticed that a lot of HS bands are starting to do that too. They're much easier to transport and you don't have to get into it and get out of it every time you play it.

"Sousaphone", "Tuba", "Contra"....they were all designed to play below the baritone scale. Old John Phillip had a great idea, but if I had my choice I would go more with the Drum Corps "Contra" design. I've noticed that a lot of HS bands are starting to do that too. They're much easier to transport and you don't have to get into it and get out of it every time you play it.

:ph34r:

Can you imagine seeing the Sr. Tuba player chosen to 'dot the I' in "Script Ohio" with a shoulder mounted tuba?

That might be interesting...especially the hat bow when he's done..drop one of those expensive little puppies, he'd have more than student loans to pay for! :tongue:

Pat

• Like 1