TUBAS: King 1151 and King SB50 intonation..?

jon112780

Several years ago, I played the 3 valve King 1151 and the 3rd partial F (at the bottom of the staff) was so flat, I had to finger it 1+3; but that was sharp.

I haven't played the 4 valve newer King 'Blue' SB50, but how is the 3rd partial F? Is it still waaaay flat or have they fixed that problem?

It looks like they just slapped a 4th valve on it and called it a new horn...

It was because of this major intonation problem I would never consider getting a 1151, but would probably go with some other horn; I hope the SB50 is better.

King Tuba's have been made like trash for over a decade. Chinese horns play 25 times better with much better intonation, and better overall construction. I've worked on several newer 1135 and 1140 tubas lots of defects, no solder, weak braces (Hollow) Just really overpriced trash built horns. Most "American" made instruments after the early 1990's were just slapped together garbage. I won't buy anything made here. Yamaha after 2005 Student/Intermediate horns all all made in Indonesia/china too. Don't let them fool you.

I work in a 2 man repair shop last year alone we worked on almost 800 instruments. I've seen it all. LOL