Akron Cinecast Review 6/16

Well I finally decided to get a DCP account this year and review some shows. I'm not going to comment on percussion since I know very little about that whole scene. Here I go...

Blue Stars-- I have never really been a fan of the Blue Stars, and from what I saw tonight, this will continue to be the case. The music arrangements are very cheesy and IMO destroy the integrity of New World Symphony. There needs to be more rise and fall built into the music instead of so much loud. Show some nuance! I thought the drill was OK, but is a bit too much for them to handle. I think it will take a lot to clean that drill up. I did, however, think their brass sound has improved from last year and expect their Brass scores to go up slightly. I wasn't a fan of the guard people just chilling on the dock? Hopefully something will be written there. End of season placement? 10-12

Phantom Regiment-- I usually am not crazy about Phantom, especially because their quality of sound is a bit harsh, but I was pleasantly surprised. They have taken a lot of the edge off in the brass (THANK GOD!) and are playing very musically. I love Don Hill's arrangements and think that he takes very traditional opera music and gives it a little flare. I think they need to do more with Nessun Dorma though. Very much rushed. I LOVE the guard uniforms. Very nice look and that red will pop on that field. I do think that the guard work is a bit too regimented and not dance-like enough. That needs to be looked at. A lot of that work looks early 2000's to 90's. The drill is very demanding, but not that creative. LOTS of box drill. End of season placement? 4-6

Carolina Crown-- WOW! What a show! Very, very difficult across the board. The brass book is perfect for Crown and I believe they will take the Jim Ott hands down. Drill is very crazy and very hard, and fits the music. If they can clean that drill up, they may win a championship. I'm usually not a fan of May, but he's done good work this year. Conceptually I think this show will go places. Very reminiscent of Star in the early 90's. I think this is the show Crown needs to move to the next level. Much cleaning and refining needs to be done, but a strong foundation is in place. End of Season placement? 1-3

Cavaliers-- What a disappointment :( Pretty much weak across the board. They came out of the gate slow in 2010, but I think this is different. The show design is very lacking and incohesive. Lots of places the typical audience would say, "Huh?" The only way they are going to be successful this year is to rewrite a LOT of that show. If anyone can do it, it would be them. Music arrangements were iffy, drill is VERY different and I think this is messing with them a bit. The drumline is very solid this year though and this will be what keeps them alive. End of season placement? 5-8

Cadets-- Well while I'm not a fan of this show, It isn't that bad. This show is very traditional and feels very early 2000's in show design. It's not bad though, and certainly wasn't poorly executed for this early. Jay Bocook did wonders with his arrangements and if he weren't the arranger, they would be having serious issues. If anyone was going to write that music, it was Jay. Drill is definitely a bit underwhelming, but I expect the last bit of their program will step it up. I don't think this will win though. Not innovative enough and not enough demand or GE built in. I'm expecting a major plateau mid season. End of season placement? 3-5

Bluecoats-- I think this is the perfect theme for the Bluecoats to do and with Michael Gray designing this program, it will be very successful. First half of the show is definitely better than the second. I loved the masks and think it is very effective. The music is not bad either. Drill is decent as well. They just really need a moment in this show that wins people over. This show has a lot of potential. End of season placement? 3-6

Edited by tubadude1033