Fan Network question

Hey, all...

I'm new to the Fan Network and really love it so far. When will Fan Network have videos of each of the corps' shows from Saturday rather than one big long stream? In case you're wondering, I'm asking for two reasons: (1) iPad viewing (will not load the full show due to file type); and (2) searching through the shows is a pain!

Thanks.

Here's the info:

We do a live show, and that feeds directly into a stream that is Flash-only for the live show. If you buy a show PPV, that's what you get, and that is why it's left up for 72h. This is a single-take, single-quality because it's a live show. When we have a technical issue, it's recorded there for all to see. :)

We edit down tape-captures from the HD tapes after the shows. Those are captured in actual HD (1280*720) and then edited down to individual shows. This is done for several reasons, but in this case the most important reasons are that we can give even higher quality than the stream (go full screen with a good connection and it's true HD / 1280*720) and also to offer multiple "renditions". This means that our backend service (Brightcove) allows us to put up a very high quality stream, and then it multiplies out that stream lots of ways, including making Flash and HLS video (think iPad), and at different data rates. This is why you can watch on your phone/iPad after the fact without the Flash plug-in. We upload once, and when you "ask" for that video on your device, some code decides which of a dozen different versions of that video it'll send you. The process isn't immediate; it's done by our video team after the shows, and usually on Mondays, though 8,000 things can get in the way on Monday. We go as quick as is reasonable to get that to you.

Sorry if that's more technical than you want, but I get that question regularly. Hopefully this clears up the mystery.

• Like 1

So why not as many APD's this year? None from Prelims in Indy?

So why not as many APD's this year? None from Prelims in Indy?

Most people who would want mid-season recordings are watching FN video. We're cannibalizing, and financially it's better to budget towards live video versus more audio. Limited resources, etc. etc.

We absolutely will be doing Thursday Prelims for APDs. That's a schedule error.

Most people who would want mid-season recordings are watching FN video. We're cannibalizing, and financially it's better to budget towards live video versus more audio. Limited resources, etc. etc.

We absolutely will be doing Thursday Prelims for APDs. That's a schedule error.

Thats ashame - I am one of those who really LOVES getting early season, mid-season, and end of season APD's of ALL the corps. Its disappointing for me this season for it to be July 17, and still not have an APD recording of Carolina Crown, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Troopers, Academy, Spirit of Atlanta, etc. I am thankful for whatever we can get, but I do miss not having those corps to listen to...

I am certainly excited to get San Antonio soon :)

leed17

I have not been able to watch a single show from the stream because it stops like every 10 seconds to loadthumbdown.gif

This may be a bandwidth issue. You can check your download speed at speedtest.net. If you aren't getting consistently in the neighborhood of 10mbps, your stream will hiccup a good bit. I've never had trouble myself, but am fortunate enough to have a connection that maintains around 20mbps. The site itself works fine. To diagnose what's going with your stream, knowing your download speed and system specs would help. Also, clearing your history, temp files, and cookies might help as well. Hope some of this helps...

Edited by Cron