Marching Euphoniums

EuphoniumWindsor

I just wanted some opinions on which brands make the most reliable marching euphoniums based on preference because i am about to get one but i just dont know what brand to get. doh.gif

I've only tried Yamaha, King Standard, and System Blue euphoniums.

The Yamahas were the most comfortable to hold, with just about perfect front to back balance as well as being decently light. I felt as if I could balance it on the knuckles of my left wrist and it wouldn't tip forwards or backwards. Playing wise, it's quite nice, low resistance.

The King Standard is the horn I own, got it for a steal off eBay. It's quite a bit heavier and more bell-heavy compared to the Yamaha, you'll need to sort of pull the bell up, which if you're holding the horn for quite a while, creates some strain at the base of your thumb, but you get used to the horn's weight distribution after awhile. It's much longer than the Yamaha, so allow for some extra room in front of you for horns ups! Playing wise, it's got a little more resistance in the upper register, plays very nicely in the lower register, but I might need to get it flushed, not sure how much grime is in there! The kickout paddle for the first valve slide is also a very nifty feature, allowing you to tune the first valve slide by pushing the paddle instead of kicking out your thumb, allowing for easier carriage of the horn.

The System Blue felt sort of awkward to hold, as it doesn't have any sort of way to adjust the first or third valve tuning slide while playing. The System Blue vendor described it as a "set and forget" method, but it made the horn pretty awkward to hold, at least in my hands. The flat top valves are definitely different, but feel as if they'll work amazingly when properly and perfectly oiled, but will feel cheap and tinny if not maintained perfectly. The balance is quite good on the horn, its balance is pretty close to that of the Yamaha baritone, and is about the size of one as well. Playing wise, they claim that it has the euphonium sound, I would claim that it's sort of a hybrid between a baritone and a euphonium. It does have a fuller sound than a baritone has, but there's still that feeling of a small horn in that sound. Still a good sound, but I wouldn't claim it to have the sound of a euphonium.

All in all I don't have enough playing experience with the Yamaha euph to determine my favorite, but so far it's the King, mostly because I've spent a couple hundred hours on the horn, getting pretty used to it. You'll just have to try them out yourself to determine what you like best, but these things are just what I've collected from my extensive or limited use from these horns.

Hope I could help!

Yamaha is a safe bet.

King "standard" I like the sound better. Not fun to hold.

I've heard good things about the latest Jupiter line... haven't played them.

I've heard good things about the latest Jupiter line... haven't played them.

Yeah I've heard mixed opinions on the Jupiters. I've read some not so satisfactory reviews (intonation, etc.) but the Blue Knights brass caption head told me that it's the "best instrument they make". I would presume the best marching instrument they make, but I'd have to try one out myself to be sure.

Thanks guys I'll check them out. How can I be sure if I'm getting a quality instrument if I decided I wanted to look on Ebay? Are there things I should note when looking at their collection?

Thanks guys I'll check them out. How can I be sure if I'm getting a quality instrument if I decided I wanted to look on Ebay? Are there things I should note when looking at their collection?

Definitely avoid the ones that say something like "professional" or "Euphonium Tuba Marching Baritone" or something like that.

Read the description, and if it looks like it was composed with Google Translate (erratic grammar, etc.) then it probably was. Look for proper English in the posts and just all around genuineness.

• 2 months later...

I own a Yamaha marching eupho I acquired from Crown. It was from their first Yamaha hornline, used two years. I absolutely LOVE this horn! Very well balanced with a wonderful tone. I have not played the King eupho but I can say I am not a fan of the King baritone. Windsor, I am marching with the Cabs this season, let me know if you will visit one of our camps or we'll be at a show together, I'll bring the eupho so you can give it play test.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been looking into buying a Yamaha Euph from Bluecoats, but I had already bought myself a concert Euph. I'm hoping after the '13 season I can get one of Crown or Bluecoats' Yamaha Euphs. I have heard very good things about Kanstul.