two MORE locations!

I suppose it could be either the early-season evaluation show, or DCI prelims? (based on the small audience). Since these appear to have been filmed in the daytime, which do you think is more likely?

I read that the field grass was EXTREMELY long at Whitewater for that early-season evaluation show. (That doesn't seem to be evident here.)

Since all of the DCI Championship prelims performances were in the daylight in '72 I would say that was probably the occasion for the video.

Kilties recording is the last 4 or 5 minutes of the show, and the tunes are Night Train, Chatanooga Choo Choo, and Auld Lang Syne. If you still want to know the drumline details, I can have a look tonight when I get home from work. Corpsreps says 1970, and that was the label on the tape (although those labels were often unreliable).

It should be an easy matter to confirm 1972 on location 1 ... I can do that tonight. Thanks! I suppose it could be either the early-season evaluation show, or DCI prelims? (based on the small audience). Since these appear to have been filmed in the daytime, which do you think is more likely?

1969 Night Train was the percussion solo following Chattanooga Choo Choo, and was a mid-season replacement.

1970 Night Train was played out of concer by the bugle sectiont, followed by the intro and A stains of A Train leading to Chattanooga from the bridge & out. For a while, there was no drum part for the 1st 16 counts of this mashup.

The frame capture IS the Choo Choo formation. Which came right after the bridge of the tune.

The lyrics of the bridge are "When you hear the whistle blowing 8 to the bar, then you know that Tennessee is not very far". So the location is Track 29.

--------------------------

The Kilties were not at the evaluation show, remember they were not invited to be a charter member of DCI? I do.

OK, let's try this again.

According to my files, these are the shows the Kilties had in 1970: (In order)

Kenosha, WI

Belvidere, IL

LaCrosse, WI

Madison, WI

Park Ridge, IL

Geneseo, IL

Toronto, ONT

Green Bay, WI

Milwaukee, WI

Cedarburg, WI

Racine, WI

Des Plaines, IL

Streator, IL

Northbrook, IL

Milwaukee, WI

Madison, WI

Cedar Rapids, IA

Cedar Falls, IA

Port Washington, WI

Waterloo, IA

Horicon, WI

Bradley, IL

Racine, WI

Marion, OH

Miami, FL

Syracuse, NY

Butler, PA

Middleton, WI

Zion, IL

Except for the August Championship foray, that's a weekend-only contest schedule. And the corps only practiced 2 or 3 evenings a week for 2½ hours. A number of the guys held fulltime jobs.

Edited by HornsUp

OK, let's try this again.

According to my files, these are the shows the Kilties had in 1970: (In order)

Kenosha, WI

Belvidere, IL

LaCrosse, WI

Madison, WI

Park Ridge, IL

Geneseo, IL

Toronto, ONT

Green Bay, WI

Milwaukee, WI

Cedarburg, WI

Racine, WI

Des Plaines, IL

Streator, IL

Northbrook, IL

Milwaukee, WI

Madison, WI

Cedar Rapids, IA

Cedar Falls, IA

Port Washington, WI

Waterloo, IA

Horicon, WI

Bradley, IL

Racine, WI

Marion, OH

Miami, FL

Syracuse, NY

Butler, PA

Middleton, WI

Zion, IL

Northern Thunder, from the above listed contests, would you happen to have the scores/results for any/all of the following,

the Milwaukee contest that is listed between Green Bay and Cedarburg, Des Plaines, Port Washington, Waterloo, Horicon and/or Middleton.

Horicon Marsh Days bring back great memories as does the Port Washington Fish Day/Festival.

Thank you in advance!

Northern Thunder, from the above listed contests, would you happen to have the scores/results for any/all of the following,

the Milwaukee contest that is listed between Green Bay and Cedarburg, Des Plaines, Port Washington, Waterloo, Horicon and/or Middleton.

Horicon Marsh Days bring back great memories as does the Port Washington Fish Day/Festival.

Thank you in advance!

There were no scores published for that Milwaukee contest.

Des Plaines:

Blue Stars--70.3

Kilties--66.35

Madison--66.25

Nisei Ambassadors--57.7

Stardusters--50.65

Port Washington:

Kilties--74.8

Thunderbolts--65.9

Boys of '76--65.1

St. Matthias--64.7

St. Patyrick--64.2

Oshkosh--59.1

Racine Scouts--59

Marquis--52.4

Waterloo:

Blue Stars--80.9

Kilties--79.1

St. Paul Scouts--73.5

Colt .45's--63.7

AmbassaDears--41

Horicon:

Madison--76.2

Kilties--74.3

St. Paul--74.1

Racine--69.2

St. Matthias--66.9

Mariners--62.6

Chordaliers--54.7

Majestics--40.8

Middleton:

Madison--78.3

Kilties--76.8

St. Patrick--72.4

Thunderbolts--68.8

Racine--68.7

Colt .45's--68.5

Edited by Northern Thunder

Kilties recording is the last 4 or 5 minutes of the show, and the tunes are Night Train, Chatanooga Choo Choo, and Auld Lang Syne. If you still want to know the drumline details, I can have a look tonight when I get home from work. Corpsreps says 1970, and that was the label on the tape (although those labels were often unreliable).

It should be an easy matter to confirm 1972 on location 1 ... I can do that tonight. Thanks! I suppose it could be either the early-season evaluation show, or DCI prelims? (based on the small audience). Since these appear to have been filmed in the daytime, which do you think is more likely?

Night Train/Choo choo/Syne makes it definitely '70 (I was one of those 4 tenors). No idea on that location though...

#1 would have to be 1972. There were no corps shows in Warhawk before that season. The first was in early June of that year, just an evaluation show with multiple judges and no tabulation. Only the Midwest DCI founding corps.

#2 can you view the whole flick and enumerate the Kilties tonal drum section? The setup from mid-July 1969 through the 1970 season was 4 tymps and 2 large horizontal bass trios. ( I ghost-wrote their book.)

Both hornlines were 36 in the drill and 3 floating contras. 4 snares, 4 tris, and I really don't remember the BD/cym count. Or guard. Not my job.

Tell me the music, including drum features. There were significant mid-season changes both years.

I could make a good guess on the location of #2, but not quite yet.

And I'm biting my tongue on a previous comment.

Somewhere around midseason in '70, one of the 4 snares was moved to bass drum, so from then on we had 3 snares, 3 basses. Looks like 4 snares & 2 basses in the still, so would have to be...uh, not end-of-season, anyway.

There were no scores published for that Milwaukee contest.

Northern Thunder, thanks again for the scores, do you have any other info on that Milwaukee contest, seems like it is sandwiched in between the Green Bay and Cedarburg contests, do you have a date for it, sponsor and/or lineups?

Also, do you have a date for that Waterloo contest, it too seems sandwiched between the Port Washington and Horicon dates?

I think anyone who ever marched/attended the Horicon Marsh Days contests remembers one thing, and it is a big thing, killer piranha-vampire like mosquitoes!

Still a great time and memories that last forever, same with Port Washington Fish Day, the worlds largest one day fish fry, and massive party by the lake.

Speaking of Horicon, would you happen to have the scores for the 1971 Horicon contest, if I remember correctly it ended similiar to 1970, Madison winning and Kilties second.

Also, the Port Washington contest, do you happen to have scores for any of the following years, 71, 72, 73 and also 76, pretty sure Marquis won in 76.

Thanks again Northern Thunder and sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

Northern Thunder, thanks again for the scores, do you have any other info on that Milwaukee contest, seems like it is sandwiched in between the Green Bay and Cedarburg contests, do you have a date for it, sponsor and/or lineups?

Also, do you have a date for that Waterloo contest, it too seems sandwiched between the Port Washington and Horicon dates?

I think anyone who ever marched/attended the Horicon Marsh Days contests remembers one thing, and it is a big thing, killer piranha-vampire like mosquitoes!

Still a great time and memories that last forever, same with Port Washington Fish Day, the worlds largest one day fish fry, and massive party by the lake.

Speaking of Horicon, would you happen to have the scores for the 1971 Horicon contest, if I remember correctly it ended similiar to 1970, Madison winning and Kilties second.

Also, the Port Washington contest, do you happen to have scores for any of the following years, 71, 72, 73 and also 76, pretty sure Marquis won in 76.

I should have mentioned that the Milwaukee show in question and the Waterloo show did not include dates when they were published.

That Milwaukee show had Kilties, Boys of '76, St. Patrick, St. Matthias, Warriors and Guardsmen. It was listed as a June show.

The Waterloo show is given as being in July. Since the Kilties were at other Iowa contests on July 18 and July 19 I would guess that the Waterloo show was in that general time span of July 17-20.

The results for 1971 Horicon were not fully published. They only showed:

August (no date), 1971

Madison--82.75

Kilties--no score given

Racine Scouts--no score given

I forgot to include the Port Washington info you asked about.

No data on 1971 Port Washington.

July 22, 1972:

St. Patrick--77.2

Thunderbolts--69.9

St. Matthias--67.6

Blue Notes--62.3

AMbassaDears--51.6

Nothing for 1973

July 24, 1976

Marquis--77.25

Americanos--63.35

Colts--59.65