Idea for Corps Orphan Meet and Greet

Last summer I attended the Corps at the Crest Show in Walnut CA. It was my second year attending and it was great reconnecting with the activity I had enjoyed so much in the past. I was particularly moved seeing so many of the old corps member jackets - Anaheim Kingsmen, Freelancers, and 27th Lancers to name a few. But it was also sad to think that many like me (Sky Ryder alumnus) didn't really have a home in the drum corps world any more.

It dawned on me that I'm part of a large group of us out here that are corps orphans, or Corps-phans. Many of us who marched now find ourselves without a corps to call home because ours folded for one reason or another. We still enjoy going to shows and meeting old friends, so I started thinking it might be nice to have a special meeting place for all of us orphans to meet at the Walnut Show this summer.

I started visiting with the Executive Director of Pacific Crest (host of the Walnut Show) and he thought the Meet and Greet idea had some merit. I was put in touch with an alum from Kingsmen who recommended that I float the concept here.

While still in the early planning stages, I'd like to see if I can work with the PC Board (of which I've recently become a member) to carve out a spot for interested Corps-phans to congregate either before the show or maybe at intermission, enjoy some refreshments and reminisce about our glory days. :)

What do you all think? Let me know if you'd be interested because if it seems we can get some people there, I'll champion it and see what can be put together.

Gerry

Sky Ryders '83 and '84

Edited by GVanBooven
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gerry, there was a big meet and greet at the Walnut show. It started as a VK Alumni meet in 2011, then a group meet for VK/Lynwood Diplomats in 2012, which then morphed into an all-SoCal corps event. I'm told alumni from other corps outside SoCal showed up, too. The talk after the event was to try and make it an annual event.

Let me do a little networking and I'll share some contact information for people familiar with navigating campus security at MSAC, if that's where the show is. (DCI's schedule page reads "Walnut", but no site info. I can't think of another stadium in Walnut.)

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor