Here are my Indy Thoughts & Favorites

PrfctTimeOfDay

Here are some quick thoughts of my favorite groups at Indy,

O3 – The Boxer is fun, refreshing and had some of the best flag work of the day, definitely in the medal hunt

Zydeco A – I love the mamas and the papas, the closing flags with Cass Elliot’s face on them are divine, not to mention a pretty cool flag feature. Fun show throughout, once cleaned they’ll be close to O3 and also in the medal hunt

Bellbrook – Mother, Mine is one of the most powerful and emotional shows that I saw all day. Definitely a SA medal contender once they clean it up. Beautiful flag feature and staged brilliantly by Michael Gaines….ie. Michael Gaines has each member on their own baby/mother picture during the flag feature and then again at the end.

Lake Orion – Sometimes just a straightforward guard show is the best route and Lake Orion proves that. Simple, yet refined. You also can’t go wrong with Cat Steven’s ‘Peace Train’

Interplay – Doe, a deer a female deer! So fun, and complex, one of the best uses of props with their ‘round notes’ that they move all around. I really enjoyed them quite a bit.

Lexis – How can you not love a show that has an ‘oven mitt’ flag feature. 4 stars indeed for this cooking show, I think underscored in finals. They should make IO finals.

South Shore – The crowd favorite as always. FUN, with a capital F, who cares about the sheets when you can entertain. I think WGI needs more ‘south shore’s’ Last in equipment and GE with the so called ‘anointed’ ones….if that tells you anything (ie..our activity is stuffy, resistant to change and adjudicated by WASP's with a median age of 55) Complimentary metamucil in the hospitality room!

Greenwood – I like the stylistic change with Greenwood. Solid in all areas, though at one point early in their music I thought they had stolen their soundtrack from “Revenge of the Nerds” Who else remembers Poindexter on the violin and a rap by me ol little Lamar!?!

Great Show Greenwood, LOVED IT!

***I know world class is supposed to be the class of ‘innovators’ But, I never thought that it’d be with scholastic groups though. Both Carmel and Lawrence Central are pushing our activity in new and exciting ways…KUDOS to them!***

Carmel – As stated above, very innovative show, especially with their opening flags, which appear to be rope flags but they spin like flags on a pole. Strong in all areas, and I’d say frontrunner for the gold…I don’t know if anyone can touch them. This show is complex, unique, performed exquisitely and entertaining. It checks all the boxes and I really appreciate that!

Lawrence Central – Last year, LC had my favorite show of the year (the box show) This year, LC again has one of my favorite shows and continues to reinvents their identity while pushing the boundaries and breaking new ground. They use fabric (much like Carmel) in a way that is inventive and exciting (they also use fans) They had the only moment of the day where I was truly surprised, thrilled and had a genuine visceral reaction. I won’t give away that moment, I’d like for you all to experience it as well.

Onyx – Last year and this year’s shows have been masterpieces. I don’t know any other way to explain it. They continue to push the boundaries in movement and ensemble, and do it in such a way that is entertaining and thought provoking. I can watch this show over and over again and find something new and appreciate it. They have a very good shot at repeating as IW Champions.

O2 – Don’t underestimate O2…I think they can make IW finals. They are staged and move wonderfully. The purple flag feature is gorgeous and their primary dancer is I’m guessing 14? 15? I also adore the ending of this show. They certainly could make some waves in IW this year, and deservingly so.

Other thoughts (mainly rants…you’ve been warned):

Ok, Admit it, you have no clue what Warren Central did, because you, like me.. watched that monstrosity of movie screen that they set up on the back 50. Design team.. maybe it’s time to re-think?

Music selections this season are mostly horrendous. I’m not sure if copyrights are hurting groups or if staffs are being lazy and taking the easy way out, but I may start selling Zoloft by the pill at upcoming shows!

Enough with soundtracks with Narration. My god, it is the year of narrative speaking shows…and if that’s not bad enough, it’s narration that is LACKING music! Again, I’m not sure if copyrights are to blame for this or what, but I’d say 80% of shows had some sort of narration and BAD narration at that. What happened to picking great music, a great theme and great work!?

Okay, Rant over!

Best to all this season!! :smile:/>

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...