Geneva Appleknockers 1960 Repertoire

The Appleknockers also performed winter concerts in the late 50's into the early 60's. They frequently had more horn players during the winter concerts than they would have on the field. There are several concert albums from various years - '58, '61 and the Evening with the Corps recording from '64. They would play sit-down style with a trap drummer and also featured french-horn player Don Phipps on Upright Bass on several numbers. Jack Bullock arranged most of their music which featured a lot of Gerswin, show tunes and popular hits of the day. They also featured the first contrabass designed by Jack Bullock and developed by the Royce-Whaley corp. around 1958 which was too heavy to carry on the field (not an over the shoulder model) but was used in concert and can be heard on the recordings. Apple Blossom Time was their theme song and closer. Ace Petersen and Hardy Carrasas (sp?) were their principal soloists along with Don Phipps and others.

You are right about the Whaley Royce contra being heavy and cumbersome to march with since it was held out front rather than on the shoulder. However, the Appleknockers did use it on the field at least during the 1960 season. The contra was redesigned by Getzen in 1963 or 1964 to the present over the shoulder configuration and the rest is history...

Does anybody know the 1960 repertoire?

I will ask around on my Appleknocker web site and see if anyone knows.

OK, I listened to the recording and here is what I came up with:

1) Sounds to me like an original fanfare

2) The Man I Love

3) Bill Bailey

4) Invercargill March (we played this in the junior corps as well 1965 and 1966. Always one of my favorites. A British style march by a New Zealand composer, Alex Lithgow)

5) "America the Beautiful" theme color pre

6) ??

7) Basin Street Blues (this was a noted showcase for BHOF bugler Ken Petersen. His rendition the year before at Mission Drums was captured by Fleetwood and is a drum corps classic)

8) Jezebel (we also did this in the junior corps in 1967 and other years. I always loved the passion and drive of this tune. The late Dick DeCola wrote a development interlude which I always enjoyed playing).

9) ??

10) Apple Blossom Time (the corps' theme song as popularized by the Andrews Sisters).

This is what I have for 1960 Appleknocker's rep...

OTL Fanfare

Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey

Invercargil March

America

Floating Down to Cotton Town

Concert Intro ???

Basin Street Blues

Jezebel

El Cumbanchero

Apple Blossom Time

Chuck, thanks for filling in the gaps.

This is what I have for 1960 Appleknocker's rep...

OTL Fanfare

Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey

Invercargil March

America

Floating Down to Cotton Town

Concert Intro ???

Basin Street Blues

Jezebel

El Cumbanchero

Apple Blossom Time

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck, thanks for filling in the gaps.

Geoff, I left one song out...

OTL Fanfare followed by "I'm Gonna Live 'Till I Die" then Bill Bailey...

Geoff, I left one song out...

OTL Fanfare followed by "I'm Gonna Live 'Till I Die" then Bill Bailey...

Right on. I am not sure where I got "The Man I Love" from, but Canadian Commanders did a great arrangement of this in 1966.