Favorite Sonnor Shows?!

idel

Hi all, this is more a question for Mike but all are obviously free to chime in with their favorites.

Mike, as someone who has been involved with Sonnor for so long with so many great shows, what is your favorite Sonnor show and what about it or the season itself was so special?

• Like 1

Hi all, this is more a question for Mike but all are obviously free to chime in with their favorites.

Mike, as someone who has been involved with Sonnor for so long with so many great shows, what is your favorite Sonnor show and what about it or the season itself was so special?

Wow - tough question - there have been so many. I mean '88 was special because it was our first time making finals at WGi and the show was insane when it came to GE (We literally had 5 costume changes). People really seemed to love us that year - we were that "cute little group from Quebec".

'91 (Kate Bush show) is just a very special show for all kinds of reasons, including being able to have George Zingali work with the guard.

'92 (Sinead O'Connor) was the year we almost medaled, That year was special because we were not well liked in our circuit that year (got booed alot) and were afraid that we'd get booed at WGI. Imagine our surprise when we got a standing "O"

2000 - I think the average age that year was maybe 13 or 14 years old - yet they managed to pull off a finals appearance in World class at WGI!

But my favorite has to be 2008. We almost folded that year, but managed to field 8 girls in Open class. We had 1 staff person, 1 Director and 1 volunteer - and it was probably the best year we ever had (and a great show that should have been in finals).

Overall, I'm just glad that Sonnor somehow manages to always field a group. This year saw a totally new group 0f 6 girls who had never spun before make it all the way to WGI !

Thanks for asking!

Later

Mike

• Like 3

Wow - tough question - there have been so many. I mean '88 was special because it was our first time making finals at WGi and the show was insane when it came to GE (We literally had 5 costume changes). People really seemed to love us that year - we were that "cute little group from Quebec".

'91 (Kate Bush show) is just a very special show for all kinds of reasons, including being able to have George Zingali work with the guard.

'92 (Sinead O'Connor) was the year we almost medaled, That year was special because we were not well liked in our circuit that year (got booed alot) and were afraid that we'd get booed at WGI. Imagine our surprise when we got a standing "O"

2000 - I think the average age that year was maybe 13 or 14 years old - yet they managed to pull off a finals appearance in World class at WGI!

But my favorite has to be 2008. We almost folded that year, but managed to field 8 girls in Open class. We had 1 staff person, 1 Director and 1 volunteer - and it was probably the best year we ever had (and a great show that should have been in finals).

Overall, I'm just glad that Sonnor somehow manages to always field a group. This year saw a totally new group 0f 6 girls who had never spun before make it all the way to WGI !

Thanks for asking!

Later

Mike

Great, thanks for the insight! I do remember seeing the 2008 show live and enjoying it very much! 91 and 92 are actually my favorite shows as a fan. I didn't know Zingali was involved with the guard at one point. That must have been a great experience!

Why was the guard getting booed in 92? I didn't think anything was controversial about it.

• Like 1

Great, thanks for the insight! I do remember seeing the 2008 show live and enjoying it very much! 91 and 92 are actually my favorite shows as a fan. I didn't know Zingali was involved with the guard at one point. That must have been a great experience!

Why was the guard getting booed in 92? I didn't think anything was controversial about it.

'92 wasn't controversial. It was more about the Sonnor / Phoenix rivalry in Quebec. People just preferred Phoenix (who had a great show too) - so we just got constantly booed in Quebec as we always beat them - it wasn't a fun season for the members in the Quebec circuit - so we very much appreciated the American crowds that year!

Mike

• Like 1