Colorguard Salute

masterles

This popped in my head the other night. I've been discussing with my coinstructor for college marching band about revamping our salute. It got me thinking about how the colorguard salute has evolved from military bands to present day. Off the top of my head, a military colorguard salutes by dipping all flags except the National Flag at an angle forward, while rifles would be at port arms and move to present arms.

Now, I'm curious how the colorguard salute evolved from that type of colorguard salute. If anyone can fill me in from say, 1950s to present that would be great. I am also curious if guards conduct a marching salute, and if so, what do guards do? What is proper to do and not do in a colorguard salute, marching or retreat?

Back to why I thought of this thread is that my college guard during the National Anthem dips the flag and salutes with the left hand. To me, that is saluting two ways at once, with the left hand salute improper. So, I wanna know what others do.

I think that you will find that much of this etiquette is no longer protocole in Drum corps of today. Presenting arms during retreat and in parades was still very popular in the late 70's and early 80's but when more dance and movement was introduced in the colour guard, a new wave began.

I think it's a good thing in general. I have seen some very nice ways to salute other corps during retreat over the years which were very original and more in keeping with the individual style of the corps or with the show they had just fielded.

Here's where I have a problem; When corps do not salute another corps that passes in front of them and when the American or Canadian flag (or those of another country) are not properly presented and saluted with the respect they deserve during retreats and parades.

I have read on this site of the American flag being dragged in the mud during retreat......... I must say that I find that to be in very bad taste, whatever the event. Few would not agree that regardless of the event (sport, start of classes in school, etc...) when the anthem is played or when the country's flag is displayed it should be with the utmost reverence and respect and received in the same manner.

I find that a lot of young people today (not all however) are lacking in pride in matters of convention. I do think however that it is up to the staff to teach proper presentation and etiquette to corps members. You can't expect them to do what you haven't taught them to do and what they might not know they should do.

• 1 month later...
I find that a lot of young people today (not all however) are lacking in pride in matters of convention. I do think however that it is up to the staff to teach proper presentation and etiquette to corps members. You can't expect them to do what you haven't taught them to do and what they might not know they should do.

You couldn't be more right.

First question I asked the guard that I taught last year when I met them ... do you know why you carry a rifle or sabre? They had no clue. Better believe that I corrected that problem real quick and gave them the full run down in the process.

I guess that is why I really enjoy being in Sr. Corps and the honor they show our flag. It is a big part of how the corps enters and leaves the field, and I believe it is a tradition that should NEVER go away.

thank you to all of you that carry our flags and for those of you (like Jojo) that teach children of today what it means.

Kimela

• 5 weeks later...

OK, this comes from a while back....

You're right on the point of the flags going to present with the flag and also saluting. Redundant. Just dip the flags to present.

Rifles: we did a few different things. 1. go to present arms, 2. stay at right shoulder and salute the weapon (right arm horizontal with fingertips just touching rifle, 3. Queen Ann salute: go on one knee, and flip rifle so it is behind the right arm, 4. while marching, spin with left hand and salute with right.

I also don't care how much dancing is in a show. At retreat, when the American flag is there, guards need to act the part: GUARD THE COLORS.

Hope that helps.