Tell us your Drum Corps Family History

Memphis Blues- 1980 to 1982.

Madison Scouts- 1983 & 1984.

This story is epic though.....but who is Nancy. I missed that in there somewhere.

Nan is 19, and a sophomore Music Major at University of North Texas. She played mallets and synth at 7th Regiment where my son Ray is brass coordinator (I guess I left that out) for 3 years. When I moved to Texas for work in 2012 and she started UNT she did this past year with Crossmen on synth.

I think the cool part of the Crossmen saga is that she did her first year there 21 years after Kevin started there.

Killed me to realize that no one in the 2013 corps was born when I was on staff there.

and it goes on and on and on...

Oh I forgot to mention my daughter in law Melissa who married Kevin after they both aged out of Blue Devils. She was the featured dancer in the mid 90s BD guard.

It has been a busy time since I joined my first corps in 1960.

The only negative about being inducted into the WDCHoF in 10 days is that as far as I can see it means "stick a fork in him - he's done..."

Still love the activity and it's hard to hang out and watch. I always thought about judging DCI but I almost always had a kid playing or teaching so I'd never risk the appearance of conflict of interest.

Plus most of those guys are better than I am...

Edited by rayfallon

My father-in-law marched with The Grand Street Boys in the 1930's.

My father marched with the King Park FD drum corps in the 50's, then formed the Kings Park / Long Island Kingsmen in 1964 and was Exec Director thru 1980. He also marched Sunrisers 1967 and 1968. He was the a volunteer with Avant Garde 1981-1982, 27th Lancers 1983-1986, and The Cadets 1987-2005.

My mother was head of volunteers for LI Kingsmen, 1964-1980, then a medical volunteer with Avant Garde 1982, 27th Lancers 1983-1986, and The Cadets 1987-2005. She was a DCI Volunteer of the Year in 2005.

I marched LI Kingsmen 1965-1980, volunteered with several DCI shows through 2004, volunteered cook crew with The Cadets for several years between 1986 and 2004, head volunteer with Revolution 2005, volunteer with Blue Stars 2006-2011.

My brother marched LI Kingsmen 1964-1977.

My sister marched LI Kingsmen 1977-1980, Avant Garde 1982, and 27th Lancers 1983-1986.

My wife marched LI Squires and LI Kingsmen 1974-1980, volunteered with Drums Across Kansas 1997-2004, cook crew with The Cadets several years between 1986 and 2004, head volunteer with Revolution 2005, volunteer with Blue Stars 2006-2011.

My son marched Revolution 2005, Blue Stars 2006-2011, and The Cavaliers 2012.

My daughter volunteered with Revolution 2005, and Blue Stars 2006-2009.

Your dad was a remarkable guy whom I met in the 60s while I would go to Sunriser rehearsals and sit in on contra-bass, and kept in touch with through the Kings Park and into the Garfield times. Classic LI Drum Corps guy. Good patriarch for a drum corps family.

I was trying to get through my "family history" quickly and sort of short-changed my kids.

I didn't list Kevin teaching BDB and Yamato in Brass, nor did I mention his going on to his MMus in tuba.

Tammy, who did winter guard with Blue Watch from NJ when she was 10, also marched with Sac, and St Anns in Boston.

She marched 11 years with BOSCRU and taught guard there after aging out. Over the past 4 years she was guard caption head for BDB until this year when she was a trainer with BOSCRU one more year. She was the soloist in Crusaders in the middle of the corps at the end of "Time to Say Goodbye" a few years ago.

Raymond did 9 years with BOSCRU, teched both brass and visual there for a couple years, then has been with 7th Regiment as brass coordinator over the past few. I was fortunate to join him there for one season when they needed to cycle out of a brass arranger and I wrote the book for them during the Macabre season. (I guess that's 3 seasons ago now)

Daniel was the only one who didn't wish to continue in the activity, feeling the need to make money instead. When asked about why he enjoyed drum corps, specifically playing trumpet in BD he answered, "you can play wicked loud and wicked high"...

Did I mention they're sort of Boston kids?

Drum corps been very very good to me...

I left out Emma, who at 22 (23 next week) was the only one who never wished to set foot on a field.

She sings, she plays some guitar, she dances.

Just never caught the bug.

5 of 6 is okay though...

by way of a disclaimer, Kevin, Dan, Tammy, & Ray are Fallons. Emma and Nan are (technically) my step-daughters, but I raised them from the size of bugs. Sort of quasi-Fallons, especially if you pronounce Quasi like Crazy they way they do in cartoons.

Edited by rayfallon