Jacksonville, GA Review

Show Site:

I really like the JSU stadium as as venue except that the top of the stadium is too small and on top of that when you have ppl just standing around, it makes for make traffic flow. Otherwise, things were fine.

Souvies:

Got to really check out everyone's booth tonight. Bough a Spirit T-Shirt. Nice! Southwind had a good showing and Cadets also were two that really stood out in my mind. Had a conversation with some old and new faces about the season and Orlando. I looks like I am in for sure...if my sister doesn't have her baby.

On to the corps...Oh yea. My seat was on the 45, 20 rows up. Prefect! So much better than what Hallberg got us for the Kennesaw Show (sorry Jason)

CorpsVets:

Forgive me. We (me & my friends Amy) were chatting with Tyler (PeeWee) and lost track of time. I missed 'em, but could hear 'em from over near Dixon Hall. It was a blast last month at Kennesaw.

Teal Sound:

Very enjoybale show. I didn't rerally care for the arrangement of "Firebird Suite" though. Guard was top notch. A good low sound for such a small corps. Nothing very memorable about the show. An allright arrangement of "Liturgical Dances".

Pioneer:

Sill don't like the uni's - neither the corps or the guard, sorry. They had some really nice musical moments. Nothing too challenging or exciting drill wise and I did notice some dirty feet and bad intervals. Some intonation problems and some heros on the sop's. It was a good show, but I really missed the whole design formula? What were they trying to illustate on the field?

Southwind:

First corps with some impact and volume to them. Their guard was great. The opener was really upbeat and fast paced. They ended the opener with some nice drill work. The ballad was great with some excellent dynamics which built into a nice dramtic section with guard on double flags - NICE! Closer needed some musical work, but other than that, it was a fun show to watch. You could tell the kids were having fun with it!

Colts:

The things that really stands out in my mind from this show was their drill. It was great. Could use some cleaning, but hey, who can't? The got a standing O after their intense drill work to finish the closer. One thing that 'irked' me was that the pieces really didn't seem to compliment one another. Their sound was great. I recall some nice sop work and all together nice blending top to bottom. The percussion had a few breaks and really sold the show with thier performance.

Crossmen:

A lot of percussion stuff from these guys this yr. They really let you know what their show is. They use the colors well on the field and they compliment the show and musical perfectly. The guard was great tonight. It's strange though, I can't really get into this show. Like I said in my Kennesaw review, there just seems to be something missing. From beginning to end, it's just great, but I think it might be a little too much. I need some time to take things in. The hornline sounds awesome and the guard and percussion sections hold their own, but I think I just need a ballad. I dunno. Maybe tomorrow in Murfreesboro at the 3rd staright night of seeing them, maybe I will get it? The ending still eaves me flat. The chord just seems wrong...too high and I don't particularlly care for the silks the guard is on. I feel bad. it sounds like I hated the show, which I don't It's fun to watch, but there really isn't anything that memorable about it.

Cadets:

I didn't particularly care for this show after my first heling in Sevierville, TN last month, but it has really grown on me. They have made a more definte beginning to their show. The new (well new to me) guard uni's looked nice. Really makes them stand out. I didn't understnad what they were saying as the moved into the staright line on side one to begin "F&A"? It's 8 counts of something and it feels a bit odd. "F&A" kicks some serious ###! They have made some noticable chg's to the music and drill for the best. The pit has become a more pronounced aspect of this piece. Throughout the entire show, the guard was amazing. I don't think I saw one drop and they have some many guard moments and guard solos. The guard just seemed to be very confident and sure of their work. "Malageuna" has chg'd very little musically, but they have juiced up and added some new drill moves. The feet looked great! A great percussion break. "RPH" has chg'd a bit too. The mello's were amazing during the show and especially this piece. The new (to me) silks were great and compliemented each number. Much more drill and moving than in yrs past. The Z pull got a great response. The go from the end of the end zome to the end of the end zone...120 yards of Cadets! WOW! They got a standing O after each number and the crowd was on it's feet with about 20 seconds left of the show.

Spirit:

They premired their new guard uni's tonight and everyone seemed to approve. I really like 'em, They are basically a body suite with 3 different colors...I think grey, white, and of course blue, but don't quote me. Very clean looking. They went back to their old uni's for the corps...the ones with the silver delta, but they are going back to the new ones (the ones with the white delta) tomrrow. I think they will go great with the guard uni's. Overall, a fun show to experience. You need to really pay attnetion during this show to catch everything they are doing. I've seen 'em 3x and I still have missed stuff. Watch for all the time references...a clock form, pendullum motions, looking at the wrist watches, hour glass, etc... The ballad with the flags are great. There is a Royer, Zingali, 27th, and Bridgemen flag as well as 4 flags that say: Seems like only yesterday. They are all used very effectively. The "Nutville/No Jive" section got a standing from the home crowd. It was great. The emotion the corps is putting forth is obvious. The closer has chg'd the most out of anything that I can recall. The most obvious is the big puch and the stagging of the guard. The big puch is not "Let It Be Me" - a Spirit classic. The big puch got a standing O from a few ppl and a loud appluase of approval from everyone. The silent ending is out and I think for the best. This show has a lot of energy and it just plain fun!

Full retreat. I guess someone read my post about my wanting one. Ha! Cadets difered (sp?) their encore to Spirit. THANKS! Spirit played "Nutville/No Jive" & "App. Morning". They played "Georgia" of course too! We got anohter helping of "Georgia" in the parking lot.

A thought from what I've seen thus far in this season...

I've noticed that a lot of corps are looking back...Cadets, Spirit, Madison, and other. Any thoughts?

www.axe-adams.com

B)

Edited by SeanOwenSullivan

HA! I didn't even notice. Yea, it was early. I'll have a Murfreesboro review tomorrow afternoon when I get home. I can't wait!

www.axe-adams.com

B)

Teal Sound wasn't at Kennesaw, it was the new corps from Atlanta Court of Honor, I don't remember seeing the Cadets either..which show are you talking about the one on July 23rd? I agree with you about Spirit and Crossmen. Nice review.

Teal Sound wasn't at Kennesaw, it was the new corps from Atlanta Court of Honor, I don't remember seeing the Cadets either..which show are you talking about the one on July 23rd? I agree with you about Spirit and Crossmen. Nice review.

Check the post...Jacksonville. I had a brain freeze and put GA instead of AL...It was late and I had driven back from the show. My bad.

www.axe-adams.com

B)