Fantasia 2004

palmettomello

I started following the DCI/WGI in 2006 while in high school and have had great admiration for both. Marched in the brass line of a world class corps in 2010. Always loved the guard too and watching WGI shows. Fantasia's "Vanishing Act" is an amazing show. I know the poem is by Lou Reed but the narration is not and is about a former instructor that died? There are some great lines there, such as "You just don't think about those small insignificant moments becoming tomorrow's memories... memories that are all we have left." I was looking for someone more knowledgeable to give me more background info about the show and who its about so I can get that deep appreciation. Thanks.

The show is about the late Stanley Knaub who was an innovator in the activity. From my understanding, he is the reason we use dance and movement in the activity today, as first seen with the Seattle Imperials in the late 70's. He last worked with many Southern California groups (Fantasia being one), as well as in the Pacific Northwest. I know that the narration provided is by Karl Lowe (former Fantasia designer) and Sheila Locke (guard director, mother to the program, etc). I'm not sure who 'Christine' is but I'm assuming its one of his former students.

When I first saw this show, I had no idea what it was about either, but when I realized how intricate and detailed it actually is.. I was even more blown away. I always heard stories about how the Seattle Imperials came out in ballet slippers and shocked everybody in the late 70's... I think its amazing that the the costuming included ballet slippers.. such a beautiful show.. I could go on and on..