Tips for DCI Open Class Audition/Camp?

chubbi3chibi

Hello!
For those who have went to an audition camp, I am wondering if they will teach new beginners at the camp? I play flute, and I would really like to play baritone or trumpet. However, I do not know the fingerings, nor do I have a baritone or trumpet. Will they let me barrow a mouth piece and an instrument during the camp? I already know how to march, read music and I am pretty athletic. If you have any tips, that would be great. I was thinking of trying out for SCVC. Is it possible to make it this year?

Thank you!

All spots are open, I would email the corps at Cadets@SCVanguard.org and they will get you connected to the Brass Caption Head or Corps Director. Hope to see you at auditions!

If you do want to use a corps baritone, they are large shank horns. Try asking your school's band director if you can use one of your school's baritones/euphoniums or trumpets and explain to him/her your interest in auditioning for drum corps. Sometimes they'll even offer to give you lessons.

Edited by Contra94

All spots are open, I would email the corps at Cadets@SCVanguard.org and they will get you connected to the Brass Caption Head or Corps Director. Hope to see you at auditions!

If you do want to use a corps baritone, they are large shank horns. Try asking your school's band director if you can use one of your school's baritones/euphoniums or trumpets and explain to him/her your interest in auditioning for drum corps. Sometimes they'll even offer to give you lessons.

Thank you Contra94! I did e-mail the Cadets, but they never replied back!

In addition, I am now in college, and I am not a music major so I can not get an instrument.

Are baritone and trumpet hard to get into?

And it is possible for them to teach me when I get to the camp?

Edited by chubbi3chibi

Thank you Contra94! I did e-mail the Cadets, but they never replied back!

In addition, I am now in college, and I am not a music major so I can not get an instrument.

Are baritone and trumpet hard to get into?

And it is possible for them to teach me when I get to the camp?

Check your PM, When you come to the camp, take into account what the staff says, if you have any questions, ask a veteran or staff member, try as hard as you can throughout the camp. The whole camp itself (even when you aren't playing or marching) is evaluated.

The Trumpet and Baritones did have members who switched over from a woodwind this season.