Skyliners January Camp Report (with video)

This is the January 2014 Report for The Skyliners!

We just completed our first full month of rehearsals at Sky. Attendance is ok considering we've had a lot of snow up here in Northeastern PA. Overall, we are very pleased with the corps' progress so far. The horn line has about finished the first two numbers. Percussion has the opener learned and about 1/2 of the second number.

Just as a reminder - Our show "A New Dawn, A New Day" consists of "Feelin' Good", "Blue SKies", "It Ain't Necessarily So", "'Round Midnight", and we close with "Caravan".

In our February rehearsals, brass will start on the next section of the show. Percussion will finish the second number and begin the next section later in the month.

Along with the music, the visual staff is hard at work molding our appearance. Basics blocks take up a good portion of each rehearsal. We have lots of people from different programs. It is important that they learn one marching program - THE SKYLINERS marching program.

We are also preparing for our first public appearance. We will be marching in the Scranton St. Patrick's Day Parade on March 15th. The corps is very excited about this. We've begun fitting everyone for uniforms and practicing parade music.

As far as our current numbers:

Brass line is in the mid-20's. We'd like to fill that out more especially in the baritone line. Of course, soprano and mellophone players are very welcome. We have 8 contras - a beautiful, deep sound to build from.

Battery Percussion - Battery is currently at 4 snares, 2 tenors, 5 bass, 3 cymbals.

Pit Percussion is doing very well. We are at 12-14 players there.

Color Guard is currently at 16.

Everyone is working very hard. As a Director, I can't be more thankful for the great staff we have. More importantly, the members are really excited about building this corps again. They all love being SKYLINERS!

Openings are available is all sections. People are asking, "what is your goal, Class A or Open?". My answer is that The Skyliners will be competing this year. No matter what class is chosen, it doesn't matter. We will do the best we can in whatever class we end up in. The goal is to have the corps back on the field. Period.

I've attached a video of our January camp. Enjoy! If you have any questions, my email address is Larry@skylinersdbc.org.

http://youtu.be/KEsN8abnn2U

Our next rehearsals are at Wyoming Valley West HS, 150 Wadham St., Plymouth, PA:

February 1st, 10-6 for Brass and Guard.
February 2nd, 12-6 for Percussion.

Thanks!
Larry

• Like 4

Those 8 basses could be the foundation of some very beautiful sounds. Hope the bari numbers work out. Keep the faith and keep us in the loop.

Pulling for Sky to rebuild one of the epic franchises in the history of the activity, on a par with Madison and others.

If DCA can hold onto the new breed from outside the Northeast, and rebuild the core franchises upon which the activity was built, the results could be phenomenal.

The Journey of 1,000 miles begins with one long, arduous, ###-kicking rehearsal weekend. - Confucius

• Like 2

Two of those 8 are my brothers. Sock it in, Gabarina!