Kelly Mouthpieces

AmelloGuy

I was at the Indy show last weekend and some guy was selling these plastic sort of mouthpieces. I bought a trumpet 3c which was only $10. I was a little skeptical when I brought it home but after playing on it, it sounds great. What I liked about it is that if it is dropped, it does not scrape or crack and will not be too hot or cold in extreme weather. I bought a white one but you could buy clear, orange, green or whatever. Has anyone ever bought these mouthpieces before and how did you like them? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have purchased the Kelly mouthpiece at DCI this year, and have found that the Kelly does not produce the same quality of tone that a metal mouthpiece does (which is obvious due it its composition). I have play tested this mouthpiece with the Warburton 3D and Benturfa 1C mouthpiece I use on a daily basis and found the sound to be brighter in all registers and feel is closer to that of the Benterfa due to it not being made of metal.

Yes, the feel is desirable to that of a metal mouthpiece, but the cup depth is not a real C cup in comparison to the traditional Bach depths. I purchased a 1C model and both the rim and cup depth were nowhere close to that of a Bach. The rim feel more like a 1 1/2 C with a shallower cup (around a D). The bite of the rim is very close to that of a Bach, but the diameter and the depth needs attention in order for this mouthpiece to really take off. In my humble opinion.

In speaking with the representative of Kelly Mouthpieces (possibly the owner) he was going to begin production on a :"Screamer" mouthpiece at some point, possibly a Schilke 6A4A. He was not certain on the size of the mouthpiece, but he does realize the need for a specialty mouthpiece.

Just an observation.

i've owned a pair of kelly low brass mouthpieces (both white, 12c and 6-1/2al) for a year now. true, they don't have the same sound as a brass mouthpiece but they don't sound bad and they are nice if you're playing outdoors in the fall or winter. i keep the 12c in my car for buzzing on the way to & from work :) they're perfect for a pep band at a football game or for marching a parade. for competition use, sound counts so i would use a real mouthpiece.