This Glassmen come back effort brought up some questions I've had.

Specifically as it relates to DCI (not the activity, rather the organization in Indy). I know their responsibilities are to carry out what the member institutions vote on, as it relates to judging, say for example. Does anyone know if DCI offers corps with ideas when it comes to keeping your organization afloat? Specifically, how to run a non-profit business? To me at least, it would seem to make sense to do so...DCI has a window into every corps, and let's be honest, some corps are flat out set up from a Board of Directors stand point, recurring revenue standpoint better than a lot of other corps are...Specifically, what I am referring to is DCI having a member conference on how to structure the corps, "Best Practices"...and be a resource that corps could go to when they need assistance/advice, etc. Here are some best practices on running a non-profit, setting up your BOD, revenue models, etc etc and pool information together from other corps within DCI and begin to develop and model that corps can begin to implement.(I also know there some some questionable things re: Glassmen that led to them folding, but them coming back got me along this line of thinking).

Some corps have this down and operate successfully - Cadets, CC, Blue Devils, SCV, etc...while many others only have money from member dues, souvie sales and appearance fees, sprinkled in with a fund raising effort every so often. It would seem to be in DCI's best interest, and in my opinion, a duty of theirs, to have resources available that corps could take the idea(s) and begin to implement...let's be honest...many of those running corps come from a music background with no real practical business experience in how to run a business, much less a non-profit business, and they could probably benefit from something like this.

I know a corps who barely finished tour last year because they ran out of money in San Antonio and some were wondering if they would even make it back this year (i do not know for a fact, but i heard it from various sources who would know)...I'm sure there are many others in this same boat who are just barely hanging on.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know if DCI works out agreements with CostCo or Walmart, or gas companies, etc to work out group rate discounts? Can you imagine the food that is consumed by just the top 12 alone while on tour?? Work out an exclusive group discount with say a Walmart, and all corps can use that DCI discount. Just wondering if they think of things like this, or are they more focused on the FanNetwork for 2015 type of initiatives?

Edited by JKT90

There are several efforts that are led both by DCI and by the corps themselves to help corps become more self sustaining and of course there is the yearly struggle between the "haves vs. have-nots" in terms of corps resources. However, ultimately it is up to each organization to build a sustainable base to fund their operations. For some, that is a rich (figuratively & literally) alumni base. For others, it is successful year-round businesses like music stores or bingo. For most corps, there is a level of corporate sponsorship available for the top performers that significantly reduce the cost of things like uniforms... instruments, etc.

DCI has some very good individual deals on corps staples like gatorade and peanut butter... and historically has negotiated group rates on things like insurance, truck/vehicle rental, etc. This effort has been refocused this year as a new director of operations came on board for DCI... and more of these kinds of "member corps services" are something that DCI is interested in and tries to provide. It is difficult for an organization the size of DCI to get the attention of a Costco or WalMart though historically.

But I think if you surveyed the boards of the World Class corps in terms of overall organizational maturity... they'd all agree that they all could improve their level of organization and functional expertise. The continous improvement of these elements will be the key to the long term viability of the organization.