I wanna try out for winterline on plates

Mister E Man

Hey all,

I want to march cymbals for winter drumline. Problem is I've never played them before. I'm wondering how hard it is to learn and how to go about doing it.

I'm a brass player but have always had an interest in percussion. I took some percussion classes in college and found out that I have great rhythmic integrity but no chops. I'd really like to march plates in an independent line (I've already got my eye on which one so you don't have to recommend me to any).

Any suggestions, comments, or ideas will be very much appreciated.

:lol:

I would definitely say to just go for it. You'll learn everything you need to know by just showing up and being willing to learn everything that that respective teacher has to offer you. Styles vary, so I can't give you any playing tips, but make sure you can hold your cymbals for prolonged amounts of time and that you have great physical conditioning. Good Luck.

Edited by susperc1

same from me... i can't really tell you what or how to practice, because each and every line does something different. Just hold them up, anywhere i guess, and keep them up! its the only way to build strenghth!!As for learning, it's all about if you want to learn. It's just like playing some other sort of instrument- you just have to keep practicing.. good luck where ever you decide to go!!! oh- and have fun!!

Lindsey :)

• 2 weeks later...

Build up your arms, if you can hold your plates (20's are the best for this) out in front of you for 15 minutes, you will not have any problems with strength.

Also, work on holding them up at head level and waist level, that will help.

Pretty much everything else is technical things that are different with each group. Maybe watch SCV, Madison, Pioneer, Colts, Glassman, Crown and any other groups (that have plate lines) you can get a video for and see how they hold them. Try those out and where ever you go, you will have a decent idea of what is expected.