Impulse Father's Day Performance and Open House

I heard through the vine that Impulse was doing a performance for family and friends so naturally, I had to check it out. As I sat amongst the many spectators for the open house meeting and performance, I was astounded by the dedication of this organization. Those folks who run that program really have it together and it really is all about the kids with them. They have a very large all volunteer staff that has designed an awesome program and a board of directors that run a great organization.

After the informational meeting we were treated with an opening act by the newest Senior Corps 'So Cal Dream'. With a hornline of about 20-25 and a drumline of 5, this group was very musical and entertaining. They played about 4 tunes which included 'America the Beautiful' and 'Walk Him Up The Stairs', an arrangement by Jim Ott (former Blue Devil arranger). The hornline sounded great and had some awesome soprano soloists. The drum line needed a bit of work but a fine effort was put forth. Everyone should make it a point to catch these guys at the So Cal Shows.

Finally, the main event which brought me all the way up to Cerritos College in the first place.......IMPULSE!! They took the field with much enthusiasm, sprinting and scattering to their opening set. As the drum major was asked the typical question " is your corps ready?" he replied, "the question is....are you ready?" I sure as heck was! So the program opened with the corps in a big arc and playing what seemed to be a fanfare reminisent of a typical Cadet's show. After that opening statement of the 'I Love Lucy' main theme, which of couse is the theme of this years show. A very nice sound from the entire group. The tune was short and sweet and got the "Lucy" ball rolling. The next tune was a nice jazzy thing that I wasnt familiar with but it showed the groups diversity and had some great moments. Each section had a chance to show off a bit and try and out play one another. Next up was the toe tapper, 'Cuban Pete'. I love this tune, and they did it very well. They threw a conga line in the middle of it, the rhythems being set up by the pit and the battery joins in. Very, Very entertaining moment. On to the ballad which is based off of the Lucy theme. I loved it. A beautiful sound from the hornline and front ensemble accompanyment. Out of the ballad came the drum solo which was set up by one of the drum majors going crazy on the drum set. They seemed to have cut the drum line in half from last year but have no fear.....they may be small but they are mighty. The snares have switch drums now and are playing on mylar heads with the drum tilted to the side. Each section of the line enters at different times, building as they go. I loved this solo, it was very musical with a ton of highs and lows. Each section had a small chance to show off and the line was relatively clean for being so early on in the season. The ending was great! Another "go wild" drumset solo had the whole line scattering and the snare drummers switching drums again. The final statement has the whole line together playing a rhythem pattern and the snare drummers doing a drum-to-drum off of toms held by the cymbal players. Throw out any superlative you want, thats what this drumline is! I'd say awesome, incredible, amazing, and just down right great. A definite improvement from last year. So then it was on to the closer which is the drum corps classic 'Pagliacci', and done very well by this young corps. A couple of really awesome solos with what it looked like Ricky scolding Lucy for trying to get into the corps (at least thats what I got out of it). The climax of this piece is one of those things you will go home singing all night but there is something special that the corps does visually there. I was surprised and you will be too....I wont give it away, just go see it. The corps revisits the main theme one last time and then ends very similar to last years show. All I can say is WOW! Entertainment with a big, giant, neon flashing E! There were no props on the field, Im not sure if they didnt bring them out for this or if there are no props this year but either way, I loved it. Make sure you catch this show sometime this summer. Until next time, see ya!