Just curious about...

JoeW

• 2 months later...
I heard that Cadets and Crossmen will be marching with the new Yamaha marching euphonium prototypes this year.......can anyone tell me if the Cavaliers (doubt it) or SCV will be using them also this summer?

Thanks

Wooohoooo...this is outstanding news. I really think the lack of euphoniums these days has contributed to the perception that Bb lines sound thinner/aren't as loud. I'll be curious to see the difference.

I heard that Cavaliers were getting them, but because the shipment would not be coming in until June or so, they were just going to hold off on using them until next year.

As for SCV...I'm not sure. The Yamaha euph (and new marching tuba, as well) is Gino Cipriani's design. So, if Gino stayed at SCV, I'm sure they would get them. Now that he's gone, I'm still pretty sure they'll get them sometime. It's just a matter of Cadets and Crossmen only got 8 each, but SCV wants a whole line of 20 or so. It's a lot easier to fill an order of 8 than 20.

So, as of this past season, Cadets and Crossmen are in possesion of the only 16 Yamaha bell front euphoniums in existance in the world (as told to one of our members by the president of the Yamaha corporation when we did the standstill at the Yamaha corporate offices during the TOC.)

I must say, they are GREAT horns to play on. They sound great, are easy to play, and slot notes very easily. And yes, the bells are a bit bigger than the Yamaha bairs.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions about the Yamaha euphs, I'd be glad to try to help you out! Just e-mail me at terry_michael2@colstate.edu

Michael Terry