Upper lip endurance

Brian

Hey I am low brass player that switched to trumpet not too long ago. My range is low F# (which dosn't sound good below low C) to a C above the staff.( heh barely B) ) My tone is so-so between low C and middle C. After the middle C the tone starts getting thinner after I go up. I am inconsistent playing wise. Switching between certain intervals sounds forced and just plain bad. I really want to march anywhere next year as preferably a 3rd sop, 2nd possibly. There's no way I'm taking any first parts. I don't have any upper lip endurance. My lower lip feels fine, but I really need my upper lip to help me hit those high notes well, and to swtich intervals smoother when I get tired. Is this a common low-brass to high-brass issue? :lol: I also really want to work my tone. Auditions are VERY close and I am just picking up the instrument. Also, not marching is NOT an option. I will wait for spots to open from people dropping out if I have to. I just want to start making some freaking music already.

Anyone know any techniques to build upper lip endurance and some breathing exercises?

Oh I am playing on a Yamaha 11B4 mouthpiece that came with my horn. I have an old crusty 7C, but the Yamaha is easier to play on and sounds better.

Why not just play a low brass instrument (ie: baritone)

And what auditions are you talking about? It's July. Corps don't have auditions till December

while I love low brass still, I am trying to broaden my horizons :P

plus I haven't played euph in awhile, I guess I could march bari but I really want to march trumpet, time will tell

December might seem like far away for you, it feels like it is in 5 seconds for me, time is against me....darnit

not too mention the whole transportation delima... <**>

every #### corps has to be so far away

Edited by Brian

Hm... not sure about the whole switching from low to high thingy. Its a little weird if you ask me. What I recommend is focusing moreso on your tone than anything else. Do long tones, lip slurs, bending of notes, ect. If you focus on these exercises and get your tone to be beautiful in the low to mid registers, then you'll be fine and you'll strengthen your chops

Superchops.com

That would help.

How much pressure are you useing on your mouthpiece?

Is air escaping from the area between your mouth and the mouthpiece?

Have you tried the Arban's method book yet.

I know, just more questions yadda, yadda, yadda.....

But they help.

John

The tendency for beginning trumpet players is to get a choked tone, especially in the upper range. Trumpet playing, range and everything included is all based on proper lip control, not pressure of mouthpiece between lip. I found that if you can play petal tones with control and finese (yes it is an idiosyncracy), playing in the upper range will get easier if you can master the low range. Also, working on low range long tones will give you a darker tone in the middle range.

As for the Arban's method, it is an all-inclusive tutorial to trumpet. Take every book there is and put it together and you have Arbans. Don't skip around though. Work from page 1 until you get to the Characteristic studies. Master that book and you're set.

There is no set method to playing, everyone has a different mouth. However, the concepts are the same. Take my advice as you will.

If you're between the ages of 14 and 21, and are seriously trying to get in a corps, I have a few questions and then a few comments.

How long have you played low brass, specifically which instrument? If you are betwen 14 and 21, are you currently involved in any music program through school, such as symphonic band, jazz band, etc.?

Most of the music being played is from about the grade 4 level on up to professional level play.

If you're serious about playing Soprano, getting all the books in world will not help if you don't have immediate feedback on your playing like you would get in private lessons, recommendation #1.

Playing trumpet is not somthing that can easily be picked up in a few months, no matter how good you are at music, it takes time to develop a quality sound, not to mention embouchure to sustain throughout the gruelly rehearsal and shows.

Putting a weak embouchure on the field, and trying to march, I mean run, is next to impossible to maintain a quality sound. And, developing bad habits with your playing through self instruction, you run the risk of seriously limiting range, quality of sound, poor and improper embouchure development, poor technical dexterity (fingering). Your playing has to be second nature, and knowing when to change up to alternate fingerings for temperature variations in the horn, as well as being able to lip up or down, phrasing, lyrical vs. technical, etc. the list is pretty extensive.

If you're a low brass player stick with it, learn the trumpet on the side, and attempt audition with trumpet after about a year or two of some serious playing and private lessons. Switching now is like going back to the beginning and you will be more frustrated than rewarded if your playing ability on the horn is not instinctive.

Edited by Bari-Nice

Two things: pitch-bending, and pedal tones. Pitch-bending will help you get a center of tone on each partial. That way if you play a scale you hit the center of each note rather than being on the flat side all the time, a tendency for beginning players. Pedal tones will help strengthen your chops in general. Also, if you have a good low to middle range, your upper range will slot in easier. Just thoughts from a trumpet turned french horn/mellophone.

Superchops.com

That would help.

How much pressure are you useing on your mouthpiece?

Is air escaping from the area between your mouth and the mouthpiece?

Have you tried the Arban's method book yet.

I know, just more questions yadda, yadda, yadda.....

But they help.

John

Superchops and all those other bogus methods need to be burned. There is no "Get Rich Quick" scheme to playing trumpet. You're gonna have to put in the work just like everyone else.