Finals Thoughts & Observations...

1) But one of the most enduring things I'll take away from SCV tonight is their formal presentation of themselves to the Cavalier drum majors following the cluster-f**k that is now DCI's finale. While almost everyone else had simply walked off in their groups after 20 minutes of picture taking and socializing, they lined up behind their DMs at attention, waited until after the guys had formally saluted the Cavalier DMs, and passed in review in front of the corps as they were setting up for the encore. A corps that understands it's own heritage, and how a major part of that heritage is the class they've exhibited in dealing with their competitors. They were the only corps to do so. The gesture was noted and appreciated by several thousand people who stayed for the encore - just as it was last year.  

2) Cadets made lots of changes from the early season opening, none of which were for the better. It was snippets instead of an actual composition. Opening move has lots of energy, and worked really well, but once they went into 'cut/snip/paste/snare drum fill" with the music, the air lets out, and it sort of goes until it stops.

3) If you didn't care for the music this year, than nothing's ever going to help that, but a connection I made tonight is that for many people, Sondheim's musicals also aren't musically 'enjoyable' - they want the music to be able to stand on its own, outside of the context of the piece. But that's not usually how Sondheim approaches the songs for his show - they're pieces of a total puzzle. The same analogy would hold for the music in this show - it's not designed to be taken out of this context. IN the context of this total package, it's nearly perfect.

1) Absolutely, 1000% agree with you. Why don't other corps get it?

2) Yea know. I was sitting there Thursday, Friday and Saturday thinking why their show made me so uncomfortable. Your right, there never really seemed to be a "flow" to their show. Jagged little snippets is the best way I can describe there horn book. BWBB was pretty cool though even for this hardened drum corp vet! I was indifferent about the two "firemen" additions at the end of their show. Like I said in my review, too many gimmicks.

3) Someone asked me after the show if I could hum any of the Cavaliers show. I couldn't but not too sure if that is a problem. I could pretty much hum their entire 2001 show but I did like 2001 a little more as far as hornbook and drill.

Great review. You pretty much saw the same things I did.

Thanks for being our "eyes"...great review!