Finals Memories

Everyone's posting their thoughts on what they witnessed on Saturday night. Let me add mine.

Generally, this was the best night of drum corps I've ever witnessed in person (I've been watching shows on and off for 10 years) -- from top to bottom it was simply wonderful. I will not use this space to be critical of any corps' performance, for each of the 12 affected me positively and all the kids were great. Here are the things about each performance that I'll remember:

Seattle Cascades -- beautiful look to the corps; great opening number. Welcome!

Magic of Orlando -- great sound; loved the ballad, particularly drill at the end of the show; very impressed with composure and professionalism of the tenor player who got upended and lost his hat and drums. Welcome back!

Spirit -- great opening number, loved the tension and dissonance, particularly when the corps held the chords and moved their horns from left to right, etc.; an absolutely beautiful ballad. Welcome back!

Crossmen -- great opening move and loved the Pat Metheny piece; great volume; loved the guard.

Glassmen -- the piece with the flugelhorn soloist is one of my favorite numbers of the year; loved the beginning of the show, too.

Bluecoats -- excellent opener and use of spectrum flags; loved the urban "dances" the corps did throughout the show.

Boston Crusaders -- Loved the human flag at the end; loved Simple Gifts and the Appalachian Spring opener.

Phantom Regiment -- Powerful music with a great low sound; great colorguard with excellent costumes, field coverage and flags that accentuate the music; visual offering increasing in difficulty; beautiful ballad with white flags.

Santa Clara Vanguard -- great opening statement; spine-tingling ballad; loved the closing drill.

The Cadets -- Ballad from "Field of Dreams" was absolutely beautiful; Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy was more fun than a drum corps fan should be allowed to have.

Blue Devils -- Just awesome from start to finish; AMAZING color guard; great soprano soloists.

The Cavaliers -- Didn't cheer loudly during show because jaw was dropped at my lap. Simply amazing marriage of visual and music.

Congratulations to all the corps for a wonderful evening!