music arranging????????

camel lips

I have heard that getting permission to do John Williams stuff is very hard to do.

Is this true???

That's what I've heard in the past. I know there are some groups, agencies, companies, or whatever they are that negotiate for you to an extent. If anybody knows the names of some of those, (there's one in particular I can't think of that's good) that person would be more useful than myself.

Maybe if you make a case that you're adapting an existing stock arrangement to suit a particular ensemble you can get permission.

I have heard that getting permission to do John Williams stuff is very hard to do.

Is this true???

Ed,

Here is information from Jeni Paulson's website. Jeni is the lady that DCI now requires all the top 12 I believe to use and many others use her copyright services as well. She also has a cooperative agreement with BOA. She's done all my licensing for the last couple of years and is just a great lady. (She's also due to give birth to twins soon, so keep thinking good thoughts for her!!).

Here's the info from her site.

What Can't I Use?

There are many publishers and composers who place strict limitations on their music. Below is a list of some of the songs that we know are restricted or difficult to obtain permission to use.

Music Denied

1. "The Easter Symphony" - Mvt. 2 (The Death Tree) - Mvts. I & III are generally approved.

2. ALL music written b John Williams - publishers are instructed to deny any and all requests to adapt or arrange

3. Music written by Joaquin Rodrigo (e.g. "Concerto de Aranjuez")

4. Music by Charles Ives

5. "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff - As of the 2004 season, all high school marching bands wishing to arrange this music will be instructed to purchase the new arrangement that will be available from European American Music.

6. "Escape From Plato's Cave," "David," "Wait Of The World" by Stephen Melillo for marching band.

7. "God Bless America" by Irving Berlin

8. "Riverdance"

9. "When David Heard" by Eric Whitacre

10. The use of Literary Characters

11. Music and stories of Dr. Seuss

12. "Symphony No. 3" by James Barnes Chance

13. Music by David Maslanka

14. Music by Manuel de Falla (e.g. "Ritual Fire Dance")

Difficult Music - Plan Ahead!

The rights to the music written by Johan de Meij, Jan van der Roost, Stephen Melillo and Philip Sparke are now administered by Trilogy Productions. The approval process can take several weeks and the cost is $2,500 if permission is granted.

Music by Irving Berlin - "God Bless America" will be denied. Other music may be as well. The Berlin Estate is very restrictive with his works.

Music owned by Walt Disney. You need to allow a minimum of 3 months to obtain permission. Music from current movies may be denied. (This applies only if handling on your own. CopyCat Music Licensing is able to obtain licensing for most music in approximately 3 weeks due to considerations from Walt Disney Music Company.)

Music by Vincent Persichetti. This may or may not be approved. You'll need to get an early start.

"Gloria" by John Rutter or other music owned by Oxford University Press. They generally charge a fee around $500.00 per song. Permission will be granted but it is a bit more expensive than most publishers.

CopyCat Music Licensing, LLC

W340 Cedar Valley Road

Stoddard, WI 54658

(608) 483-2557 - Phone (608) 483-2567 - Fax

Is this true???

Ed,

Here is information from Jeni Paulson's website. Jeni is the lady that DCI now requires all the top 12 I believe to use and many others use her copyright services as well. She also has a cooperative agreement with BOA. She's done all my licensing for the last couple of years and is just a great lady. (She's also due to give birth to twins soon, so keep thinking good thoughts for her!!).

Here's the info from her site.

What Can't I Use?

There are many publishers and composers who place strict limitations on their music. Below is a list of some of the songs that we know are restricted or difficult to obtain permission to use.

Music Denied

1. "The Easter Symphony" - Mvt. 2 (The Death Tree) - Mvts. I & III are generally approved.

2. ALL music written b John Williams - publishers are instructed to deny any and all requests to adapt or arrange

3. Music written by Joaquin Rodrigo (e.g. "Concerto de Aranjuez")

4. Music by Charles Ives

5. "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff - As of the 2004 season, all high school marching bands wishing to arrange this music will be instructed to purchase the new arrangement that will be available from European American Music.

6. "Escape From Plato's Cave," "David," "Wait Of The World" by Stephen Melillo for marching band.

7. "God Bless America" by Irving Berlin

8. "Riverdance"

9. "When David Heard" by Eric Whitacre

10. The use of Literary Characters

11. Music and stories of Dr. Seuss

12. "Symphony No. 3" by James Barnes Chance

13. Music by David Maslanka

14. Music by Manuel de Falla (e.g. "Ritual Fire Dance")

Difficult Music - Plan Ahead!

The rights to the music written by Johan de Meij, Jan van der Roost, Stephen Melillo and Philip Sparke are now administered by Trilogy Productions. The approval process can take several weeks and the cost is $2,500 if permission is granted.

Music by Irving Berlin - "God Bless America" will be denied. Other music may be as well. The Berlin Estate is very restrictive with his works.

Music owned by Walt Disney. You need to allow a minimum of 3 months to obtain permission. Music from current movies may be denied. (This applies only if handling on your own. CopyCat Music Licensing is able to obtain licensing for most music in approximately 3 weeks due to considerations from Walt Disney Music Company.)

Music by Vincent Persichetti. This may or may not be approved. You'll need to get an early start.

"Gloria" by John Rutter or other music owned by Oxford University Press. They generally charge a fee around $500.00 per song. Permission will be granted but it is a bit more expensive than most publishers.

CopyCat Music Licensing, LLC

W340 Cedar Valley Road

Stoddard, WI 54658

(608) 483-2557 - Phone (608) 483-2567 - Fax

Thanks,this is jsut the kind of information that I was looking for.

Odd that drum corps is forbidden to play Ives, no?

You'd think that would be right up the old parade route for brass and percussion.....tho those who belong to the Charles Ives Society do seem a bit protective.

How about Harry Partch and other "American Mavericks?"

Or just go and write one's own stuff, perhaps? I used to dig Suncoast for that reason.

Or go do traditional public domain stuff and re-arrange it to a high degree of musical proficiency?

Challenges abound.........

RON HOUSLEY

Transcriptionist

to Mr. F. DaKatt