Consistency when practicing...

drumstix909

I am auditioning for 2 different top 12 corps in the next month, and I have been practicing every day to prepare myself (I play baritone). I have gotten to a point now where I can play everything that I need to play for my auditions (audition piece + any mandatory exercises), and I have played all of it WELL at some point. So I know I have the ability to play all of this music and sound fairly good while doing so.

My problem now really seems to be inconsistensy. I will play my audition piece really nicely once, then play it again later that day or the next day and sound bad (bad tone, missed/fracked notes, not smooth slurs, etc.). I can't understand why this happens! I go through the same warm-up routine every day, I play in the same practice rooms at school...I feel like I am doing everything the same, yet it sounds good once, and sounds bad the next time. My friends say "oh, well that just happens when you play...you have good days and bad days." But I am thinking there has to be more to it than this. There has to be a way for me to really control my playing and sound good consistently, EVERY day. Because I'd hate to have a "bad day" on the day of one of my auditions, ya know? Does anyone have experience with this, or advice on how I can fix it? Does anyone know what causes this inconsistency?

Thanks!

Is there a particular slur or something you crack in the music? Isolate those two notes back and forth over and over and learn to hear and feel them perfectly.

The other thing that may be a problem is stress. Preparing for auditions and practicing every day does that...you get to your horn and think "I HAVE to be great today or I'm SCREWED." Remember to relax and use lots of air. If your chops feel tense or sore or the sound coming out isn't your best, play something low and long and then step away from the horn for a few minutes. Come back to it when you feel a little better.

The day before your auditions, still play if you can to keep building consistency, but don't over do it...you'll want fresh chops. When you audition at the corps, you'll likely have warmed up with the hornline already, but if you haven't, don't rush the warming up-- do a little, then a short break, then some more, etc. Also, take care of yourself-- make sure you've gotten enough water so you don't have a dry mouth, keep your lips moisturized and your valves oiled.

Also, run through your music-- learn to keep going in case you screw up so you don't get flustered.

Consistensy is bloody hard. I still suck most days. It seems to me that there is not much you can do to control when your crappy days are. However, there are things to notice. Colder, dryer days are harder to get a clear tone on. They also tend to tire your lip out faster. I don't really know what to tell you. Beyond just keep trying. Most Top 12 corps, it seems to me, will recognize the fact that you are working at it and improving and usually a couple of cracked notes won't get in the way of them understanding your ability.

• 2 weeks later...

true big_phan

The only thing you can do to fight against inconsistency is keep working at it. It will come.

When you play, clear your mind. Forget what you did beforehand, it doesn't matter. All that matters is the here and now. So, don't tense up, don't think about it, just do it. NEVER FORGET TO TAKE FULL, LONG BREATHS.

Relax. That's all I can say.

And good luck.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

There is one important factor when considering consistency: fatigue. As brass players, we often are playing with some degree of fatigue. Do not forget to rest and let your muscles heal. Many of the professionals I interact with advocate a day of rest in your routine. This does not mean that you cannot practice. For example, rather than bringing the horn to your face, listen to recordings of players whose sound you admire and/or finger and sing through your music in different ways to experiment with phrasing. Remember, most of the mistakes we make are mental, not physical (misted keys, fingerings, rhythms, etc.). Often, these problems will escalate into creating some physical barrier to performance.

My college trumpet professor, Raymond Crisara, said many great things to me during my studies with him. One such saying is, "Remember, there are only twelve notes, just put them in the right order."

I hope this helps.

Roger Williams

Revolution DBC

Brass Caption Head

That's an interesting theory. I kind of like it. However, I really don't have time to "take a day off". I'm playing a good 6-hours a day right now.

So, I find that when I'm fatigued or tired I can spend lots of time just flapping out and loosening the muscles and I'm good to go. Of course, then my stamina is obviously shorter once I'm fatigued before I even start.

What say you?

I have done plenty flapping of the lips! I do understand that when you are in college there are many demands made upon your playing. Numerous ensembles and your lessons, and none of them will give you a break. Another trick I have utilized is some sort of hot/cold therapy. Run warm to hot water over the lips really helps get the blood flowing. Also, sucking on ice cubes will help keep any swelling down. Also, when you are practicing, make sure to take breaks. Sing through your music while fingering is a great way to do this. Make sure you know the rhythms and the notes before you waste your lip hashing it out. It is something we are all guilty of and can avoid.

I hope this helps!

Edited by RevoBrassHead