Jim Casella and Star of Indiana 93

Jeffe77

I was listening to the Star 93 show for the hundredth time. Love the show BTW. I couldn't help thinking that Jim Casella might have been influenced by Star's Drum book. I hear the correlation to Jim’s book specifically 97, 98, 99 and 2004. The subtly, composition style, notice that Star and SCV's drum book it's just not one segment or a piece the picture to the overall show. The drum book is within the picture itself. I hope I'm making sense.

Having listening to both lines in the parking lot first in past years before the watching their show, I'm more blown away by the book once I'm familiar with the Brass arrangements. I don't get that with BD or Cadets. The way Star and SCV's Drum books are written, I get more appreciation of it once I listen to the overall package.

If you guys ever get a chance, download the drum judge mp3 for Star 93 and SCV 98. Different judges, same take on the shows. Just my thoughts, hope they made sense.

Jeffe

I totally agree but with the caveat that Jim's style is really his own however a lot of the phrasing styles are very similar to Star 93. I think in both situations the book is written to underscore the melody more than to "add voicing" or beef percussion scores.

The 98 show is one of my favorites that SCV has played. The musicality that Casella brought to the corps is something amazing.