North Texas Season-End Summary

The staff involved with the North Central Drum & Bugle Corps Alliance wish to extend congratulations for a spirited and exciting season to all the participants involved in this 3rd Season of DCP-I. We are proud to have two corps to medal this year -- the North Central Vanguard earned silver in the Division II Finals and the Golden Legion who earned the title of World Champion. We extend our congratulations to Kosmos, Kadence, Overdrive and aerofusion for their top 3 placements this finals week.

DIVISION I CORPS

Golden Legion

Program: Medieval Tapestries ~~ Music from Concert Band pieces Symphonic Tryptich and March of the Dragonslayer

Season Highlights: The Legion started off the season well into the middle of the pack, maintaining within the 5th place slot during the beginning. The US Open in Ohio proved well for the Golden Legion as they took 5th in Prelims (74.205) and overtook the Seatbelts for 4th in Finals (75.283). At the South Regionals, they failed to reach the Finals, taking a 5th place in Prelims (78.958). A week long hiatus after Regionals proved well for the Legion as they were able to maintain within the top 3 in their future contests -- taking 6th at the Denver Regionals (90.335).

Finals Week: The Golden Legion produced a good showing for the I&E competition, capturing a gold, 4 silver and 2 bronze medals. The preliminaries mirrored the beginning of the season, as they placed 7th (94.215). They improved to 4th in Quarterfinals (95.360). In the Semi-Finals, they turned the tides, earning 1st (95.993) and maintaining the position to become the world champion with a score of 96.838.

==============================================

Phantom Crusaders

Program: Christmas In St. Petersburg ~~ Tchaikovsky:Nutcracker Suite and Reed:Russian Christmas Music

Season Highlights: The Phantom Crusaders started off the season from the West with a rocky start. It wasn't until the South Regionals that they started to upswing when they placed 3rd in the prelims (79.158) but fell to 4th (78.355) as the Slobbering Pansies made a surge to 1st, passing over 3 corps in the process. The Crusaders pressed onward in the remainder of the season, never placing below 4th. They placed 3rd in the Kansas City Regionals (90.958).

Finals Week: The Phantom Crusaders were optimistic going into Finals Week. They won 4 of their last 6 shows and held impressive wins in the I&E competition (3 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze). In the preliminaries, they earned a slot in the top 6, placing 6th (94.295). However, that was the highest placement they were able to hold as they slipped in placement to 8th in Quarterfinals (95.080), 9th in Semi-Finals (95.573) and ultimately 10th in Finals (96.133).

DIVISION II CORPS

North Central Vanguard

Program: Nixon in China

Season Highlights: The North Central Vanguard were able to test the waters as they started out solo in the east. They did well as they were able to place with the top 3 in the US Open with 3rd place (71.430) in prelims, 3rd in finals (71.185). The South Regional was just as productive, earning 2nd in prelims (77.318) and taking the silver in finals (76.155). They slipped just a tad in the Kansas City Regional with a 4th place finish (88.850).

Finals Week: The Vanguard's season looked up as they went into Finals week, they experienced 20 wins in the regular season. They earned 3rd in the prelims (92.038) and bested aerofusion to capture 2nd for the silver medal with a score of 91.410. With that, they were eligible to contend in the open class. They had an outstanding showing in the I&E with 4 golds, a silver and 4 bronze. In the open class, they showed they were able to contend with the Division I corps, placing 24th in the Prelims (92.080) and 23rd in the Quarterfinals (92.625).

Abilene Brassmen

Program: “Yuletide Swing” ~~ featuring Sleigh Ride, Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree, White Christmas, I’ll Be Home For Christmas, Sleigh Ride – Reprise

Season Highlights: The Abilene Brassmen took their entertaining Christmas program with standings that brought them into the middle of the pack for this season. They earned bronze in the South Regional (75.853), and 2nd in the Denver Regionals (88.155).

Finals Week: The Brassmen held on to the 5th through the Division II finals -- prelims (91.368) and finals (90.675). In the I&E they highlighted themselves with 2 golds, a silver and a bronze. Their contention among the open class was impressive enough to allow them passage into the Quarterfinals with an end season score at 24th place (92.460).