Inside Brass Ablaze

Inside DCPI Scoop reporter Bilbo McGee get's the front row treatment at the a Brass Ablaze camp!

Everett, WA - Expecting chaos and insanity I, Bilbo McGee, visited the January 15-16 Brass Ablaze camp. All three corps were at this camp. I was impressed by the organization of this fine group of people. Camp schedules were followed down to the mininte. The staff seemed well prepaired and knowledgeable and the kids were amazingly diciplined and talented. There was a clear sense the everyone there really wants to make sure that this year is a success. These corps are not only dedicated but they are competitive as well. These kids are going to turn some heads this year. After a rocky start with their division 3 corps last year, this year promisses to greatly improve on next year with a strong focus on pre season preparation.

The plan was to spend the majority of the time with the three corps working on music and finalizing the members of each of the three corps. However, within the first 30 minutes of camp, the three corps were already set and everyone was getting drill books. These guys are way ahead of schedule and the potential is amazing!

The staff was reluctant to give out too much information about show themes or drill ideas at this point and I was unable to ###### a drill book from a member but I did get to hear and see a few songs which might point to some of the theme ideas for their shows...

The C corp was practicing a variety of songs which included everything from Bendictus, to Elton John's Saturday Night's all right for fighting, to Saturday night fever, to Phil Collins' Saturday night and Sunday morning. I'm guessing some kind of saturday theme?

The B Corp tunes were easy to recognise with blasing balads which all seemed to be by the great composer John Williams. A movie themed show or perhaps just a John Williams tribute? Wait till you hear this horror themed opener, WOW!

The A Corps was a little harder to recognise but I did my homework. All their songs seem to be straight from an album by a well know bass guitar guru named Victor Wooten. One of the horn players even spilled the beans and said the show theme was "Yinnin & Yangin". I almost pooped my pants when I heard some of these difficult riffs that these guys are playing. I didn't know a tuba could play so fast! This is going to blow fans away for sure!

All in all, I was very impressed with how these shows are coming along and I can't wait to see them all on the field in completing. Bilbo McGee Signing out.

<<edited...sorry about that. 2006 isn't until next year...and 2005 just started. :P >>

Edited by sburstall