New Corps starting in Oz

Hi all.

I am new to the world of Drum corps, but not the concept of marching bands. I have been a member of various marching Brass Bands for over 10 years, and it was this experience that allowed my boss to decide I was somehow qualified to teach a new "drumline" (what they call it at school, as it was inspired by the movie).

I know how to march. I know wheels, and turns, and so forth. I am also a multi-instrumental teacher, teaching all brass woodwind and percussion.

What I don't know is all the finer points of drumlines. Are drum major commands different to marching brass bands? Are intervals different? WHAT THE HECK IS A ROLLOUT?????? and so forth.

I am in the process of asking a lot of official type people for advice (a former adjudicator from DCI has his son-in-law answering some of my questions). However, I am flat out trying to find any actual documentation saying anything like this.

If you have any advice, or know where to look, I'll take any help I can get. I am just a poor Aussie tuba player, trying to get a ragtag bunch of teenagers to march and whack drums at this stage!!!

Feel free to email me also.

THANKS!!!! :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

'from one of a bunch of teenagers'

demand respect from the begining. Don't act like 'i am better then you kid' but demand perfection. If you sense the slightest error, dont call the person out (only if error is repeated) but make them run it again. tell them that this is THE DRUMLINE (btw why is this new, what did they use to call....***thinks*** ahhh maybe battery, back on track know) and we need to be the most reliable section in the band. With out a drum line there is no band.

this probably wont help at all, i am deeply sorry

• 2 weeks later...

One of our tenor drummers moved down there along with his wife (she was in our guard) recently. I'll send them an email with your post. They're across the bay from Sydney.

Hello,

My husband and I are the two that just moved down under. I'll send you a quick email, we'd love to hook up with you and talk about marching... We have both been marching instruments, drum and colour guard for many years :)

Cheers

Veronica

Edited by vnika7

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just trying to picture writing a drill for the Austrailian Rules Football Fields. Like the MCG and Telstra Dome. Not many field markings to guide off of. lol. You would probably have to use the NRL fields to perform on. I know this is WAY ahead thinking, but I thought it was fun to think about!

Hey I just realized the marching seaon would bo our off seaon and their off season would be our marching season. Year round field shows!. b**bs I hope this gets going down there. I wish I could help. Best of Luck.