Tacoma, WA

We were very excited when we arrived in Tacoma, WA, and did some sightseeing of Mt. Rainer from a distance when we got there. Everyone loved the view, and we decided to take a corp picture with Mt. Rainer in the background. All the members had a great sleep the night before, and we let them sleep in 30 extra minutes this morning! And you know 30 extra minutes adds up, when you rehearse like a drum corp should!

Competition was swell this evening! Brass Ablaze was the corp we watched for the second time, but this time we saw them from the stands! Wow, they are definitely on fire, and starting to pick it up in all captions! We really liked what we saw, and we can't wait to see the full polished product!

We did earn a 1st place Gold rating at this competition, but we allowed Brass Ablaze to do the victory concert, being that it was their homeshow. If these guys can sound as good as they sound standing still, moving! They will be a force to beat!

Thank you Brass Ablaze corps for putting on such a wonderful field show and hosting a great competition! I'm glad to see that our corps are getting along much better, and that relationship between the two organizations is growing!

Tri-Color

Wow that was an exciting show. Everyone knew the scores would be close and you could really feel the energy in both corps that they both wanted to win it. I know that the our kids were really fueled by the competition of performing against Tri-Color and I think it pushes them to work even harder. The've managed to bridge the gap between themselves and Tri-Color quite a bit and although they still lost, they are looking at it as a victory in that they are seeing results of their efforts reflected in the scores.

I think by far it was the best show this year for all the Brass Ablaze corps. All the performances really got the crowd going.

Congratulations goes out to Damion Geoffreys, a Brass Ablaze snare drummer who won the great snare drummer challenge. It was a real hit with the fans and the corps alike and I don't think anyone minded that it went a little longer than planned due to the amazing head to head action at the end between Damion and one of the drummers from Tri-Color. Both really showed some amazing skills. :rock: I think all the participants really had fun doing it as well.

We also heard word back from the Eagles Kazoo marching band who mentioned they got 3 people who expressed interest in joining them after seeing them perform last night. :) They were a blast to watch

Also a shout out to our Rival corp Tri-Color. We'd like to thank them for coming and putting on a great show. They sure made the competition a lot more fun and really made our first homeshow feel more like a real "competition". That's Tri-Color and best of luck to you this season.

If these guys can sound as good as they sound standing still, moving! They will be a force to beat!

Funny, that's what the general effect visual judge said on his recoding too. :P

We have a lot going for us and I think our sound quality and our music is really doing better than we had thought for this early in the season. The color guard is flat out amazing and arugably one of the top color guards out there, at least the best I have seen so far this year. I'm a little biased though.

Where we are getting killed is in our marching and it shows in our ensamble visual score and in our general effect visual score. It's quite difficult to have such a low GE visual score with a color guard as good as we have but we somehow, unfortunately, manage to pull it off. :P

The staff and I sat down and watched a tape today of the show and we know that the low scores in those captions don't seem to be related to any individuals marching poorly but rather as a whole ensamble, some of the forms are not quite there. Some of our circles look like ovals and our triangle inside a triangle rotation still looks like two trains running into each other which gives more of a custery havoc effect than the precise and clean wowing effect we were going for. We may end up altering the move slightly to be a little easier to look good. Additionally we might have to alter a few other moves simply to make them a little easier to pull off. We are asking quite a bit of them and some of the moves are just a little to difficult to pull off at this point in time. All the staff members agree that by simplifying a few things, we can improve the overall score, and we have some really killer ideas on how to do that, inspired by a move we saw in an old Coldfusion video. :rock:

Brass Ablaze is on fire! B)

We posted out first score over 70 at the Fullerton, CA show with a score of 71.635 beating out 6 other division 1 corps! I couldn't be more proud!

Our visual and general effect scores are now a little more where we'd expect them to be which tells us that the changes we made to the show were for the best. Now we just have to continue cleaning up the show. The progress we are making so far has been amazing.

Glad to see you broke 70! It looks like you jumped a bit! 72.820 at the Pacific Shard show! Some of our parents who stayed behind in California while we started heading up toward Spokane, WA said your percussion was a delight!

Tri-Color is about to take the field for the Spokane, WA show!

See ya soon! :)

Brass Ablaze is on fire!  B)

We posted out first score over 70 at the Fullerton, CA show with a score of 71.635 beating out 6 other division 1 corps! I couldn't be more proud!

Our visual and general effect scores are now a little more where we'd expect them to be which tells us that the changes we made to the show were for the best. Now we just have to continue cleaning up the show. The progress we are making so far has been amazing.

Glad to see you broke 70! It looks like you jumped a bit! 72.820 at the Pacific Shard show! Some of our parents who stayed behind in California while we started heading up toward Spokane, WA said your percussion was a delight!

Tri-Color is about to take the field for the Spokane, WA show!

See ya soon!  :)

Hopefully we can continue the momentum. B)

Good luck in Spokane. Our division 2 and 3 corps will be there representin'. Unfortunately I'd love to be in two places at once but they are in the hands of my individual corp directors right now. Let me know how they sound in Spokane. I hope to have some time to work with the division 2 and 3 corps on the shows when they make it down here to cali with us. ;)

Edited by Brass Ablaze

Hopefully we can continue the momentum.  B)

Good luck in Spokane. Our division 2 and 3 corps will be there representin'.  Unfortunately I'd love to be in two places at once but they are in the hands of my individual corp directors right now. Let me know how they sound in Spokane. I hope to have some time to work with the division 2 and 3 corps on the shows when they make it down here to cali with us. ;)

Tri-Color sounded outstanding tonight. This corp is definitely going somewhere, and if the judges don't see what we have done with the colorguard and general effect, well they will definitely be getting a big taste. Just when you thought Tri-Color was "as good as it might get"--we added so many elements that make this show roll right along. Our dance stage in the center of the field was a big success this evening, as we featured our male and female colorguard doing "tango"--and our voice over added a great effect to the beginning of the show, with the Latin voices of former leaders of South America. Throughout the stadium before the show, we had a random "muchacha" dancing around the stands, and what do you know...she finds her way to the field during our fiesta section of the show. "Tri-Color in my honest opinion SMOKED the competition this evening"--says reporter from the Spokane Times. Nararration has definitely helped this corp tell their story, and the props and reverse colorguard uniforms have definitely added an effect. We are working on the finishing touches to our voice overs at the end of the show.

Brass Ablaze Division II did the encore tonight, as Tri-Color was too tired to put out anymore! We fed Brass Ablaze corps enchaladas, and strawberry shortcake because they performed another encore for us AFTER the retreat! Great things are going on here, and they sound like a top 17 Division I corp, hmmm...why not go regional with Brass Ablaze "B" next year?