Rave: Cap Reg Bassline

So four out of the five MN Brass bassline members trekked down to Mad-Town this past weekend to check out Drums on Parade. This is our off weekend from drum corps, I guess we're gluttons for punishment. Here's my observations (and mine only, stock disclaimer):

Capital Regiment bassline rocks! Probably the best line I've seen so far this year. They just get it. Balls to the wall technique, full out all the way. Very well-written parts and just plain fun to watch them wail. We watched them in the lot and I was very impressed.

Then I saw their show on the field. Not the most exciting show, and if it wasn't for the quality of the drumline I would have been very disappointed. I really wasn't watching anything else after the first couple minutes. Sucks to be the prop girls, tour all summer just to schlep around a giant sundial. I also have to agree with the other thread about unfinished shows. It's almost July, I mean, come on! We learned our whole show in two camps at Brass, granted the difficulty is less than a junior show but please... $17 for a GA ticket to watch unfinished shows = rip-off.

But their bassline and drumline did rock, go Cap Reg! I hadn't even heard of you before this year.

Phantom Regiment - super tight, super clean, deep Phantom hornline sound, beautiful! But boring. Yawn.

Corps formerly known as Madison Scouts - Rained out. Right as you got onto the field too, that would have sucked. I saw you guys at Mankato, MN, and like the show this year. Malaga hit, Bolero revisited, powerful hornline... and the chick is hot! I know some other alums who don't like it, but I say, lucky girl. Drumline is pretty good too. Well, the snare line is. I couldn't hear a single thing the bassline played, boo! I tried watching the drumline warm up in Menomonie, but they track now. [sigh]

I was also very impressed with Southwind and Pioneer. Southwind's show is cool, and I like the effects but the uniforms are so distracting. What's up with that? SW probably had the most exciting drum feature of the night though. Having the bassline play on the tenors, sweet!

Pioneer was very entertaining, thought they did a great job.

The only other observation I have is how many corps split the bottom bass away from the drumline this year. Granted, I haven't watched many corps shows the last five years but I haven't really seen that done that much since back in the Crossmen early 90's, now at least three juniors are doing it (and we do it in Brass too.) How does that always happen, that everyone gets the same idea the same year and just overkills it? I like it and think it's cool though, so it's all good. And hopefully we'll get to keep our visuals in at that part of our show.

Discuss, what do y'all think?