Valenzuela Steps Down as Vanguard Director

"Rick Valenzuela Steps Down as Vanguard Director

August 26, 2005

To SCV Members, Alumni and Friends,

It is with great regret, we announce Rick Valenzuela's resignation as Director of the Santa Clara Vanguard, effective October 31, 2005. The Santa Clara Vanguard greatly appreciates Rick's 20+ years of commitment to the corps, the SCV organization, to Drum Corps International and most importantly to the marching members.

Rick has been involved with the Vanguard since the early 1980s. The following is just a short list of his many accomplishments:

He was a member of the A-Corps soprano line (1983 -1989).

He joined the SCV Visual Staff in 1990 where he worked with the corps for many years.

Rick accepted the A-Corps Director position in 2000.

Rick was named DCI "Director of the Year" in 2002 and has served on the Executive Board for DCI.

Rick led the participation of the Vanguard in the 2004 Tournament of Roses Parade.

Rick has graciously agreed to help with the selection of his successor and to continue in a mentor role once that successor has been named. We are grateful for his involvement in this process.

Rick will be genuinely missed and we wish him and his family all the best in their future endeavors.

Sincerely,

The Santa Clara Vanguard Board of Directors"

Santa Clara Vanguard Website

thanks to Ricky V. for his 20+ years of dedication to all the people of SCV, as well as drum corps as a whole!

sad.

any word on if Rick V. will be there to help Vangaurd, other than helping with the staff?

Like, maybe be apart of the staff?

~>conner

I doubt it....at least he'll be helping to hire a new director. From what I've heard, he was planning on this being his last year for a while. I'm sure he wants more time to spend with his family and his cool kids!

I doubt it....at least he'll be helping to hire a new director.  From what I've heard, he was planning on this being his last year for a while.  I'm sure he wants more time to spend with his family and his cool kids!

What he said!!!

Best of luck Rick!!!

As a friend and supporter of the Vanguard, it saddens me to see Rick go. He embodies the Vanguard style and class, and he will be remembered as helping to bring some of its best programs to the field.

I know that he is devoted to the Vanguard and will be there with us as we all, in the words of Gail Royer, look onward and upward.

PhilSCV

A lot of Directors for SCV since the beginnings in DCI, they always manage to find a good director each year though.

I have no doubt they'll find someone new.

Valenzuela preserved that old school SCV feel.

A lot of Directors for SCV since the beginnings in DCI,

What???SCV had one director since its founding until he retired in 92, our father Gail Royer. Since then we have seen Len, JW and Rick try to fill his shoes. All have failed for different reasons. The problem is no one can. The organization needs to take a fresh look at the director’s position, but that discussion belongs within the family.

Thats still a lot of changes. I think they all did a great job as directors.