Mello Ensemble

jfmello

I'm attempting to put together a mellophone ensemble (probably anywhere from 4 to 8 players). Aside from pointing out the obvious insanity of trying to do such a thing, does anyone have any suggestions regarding repertiore for such a group? What works could be easily adapted/arranged? Any suggestions (classical, jazz, pop, etc.) would be welcome. Thanks.

Considering mellos can be compared to trumpets (range and whatnot), only playing in a different key, I would suggest looking for some trumpet ensemble stuff and just reading it as written. Some might suggest horn quartet and octet work, but I don't find this works quite as well. As a horn major, I think the mellophone really plays and usually sounds more characteristic of a trumpet or flugelhorn, though it definitely has its own characteristic horn. Also, most horn ensemble writing uses extended low range parts which can be unplayable on mellophone, or at least difficult to play in a way that would be musical within the ensemble sound.

Glad to see another actual horn player chime in with agreement to that. I'm always surprised when brass instructors and mello players look to horn solos and ensemble pieces for I&E type stuff when there's such a wealth of music in the trumpet rep that would be great. This is not to say that I don't appreciate the horn rep - I am first and foremost a hornist, so take what you will from that.