Cool things happen in drum corps

In 2000, while we (the Glassmen) were out west, we were in Wyoming at some point. We met up with the Troopers one evening, played and marched our shows for each other (in uniform), and ate dinner together. The contra players from both corps bonded over their K-90s, which we both used at that time. Maybe this wasn't a life-changing event, but it was a cool way to break up the monotony of rehearsal and just watch some drum corps.

Last year on tour in Akron, NY, Fever and Raiders got together, performed for each other and then split into sections. The brass played together, doing each other's on-field warm-ups. Drumline had a battle and the guards got to chat and cheer on the drumlines as they battled and played together, I think it was just a bucks excersize, but cool nonetheless. It was alot of fun to have a break from the late tour beat-down and meet some really cool people from New Jersey. The culture difference and accent difference between California Valley and New Jersey is pretty interesting. During the season, we would go to each other's shows and show warm-ups whenever possible and cheer each other on... which is pretty awesome because Div 2/3 doesn't get alot of crowd response. B)

Edited by KevinSop85

I really liked seeing the video this summer of Phantom Regiment out west having a get-together with SCV, and how each corps performed for each other and blew each other away. That is always alot of fun and it brings corps very close together.

Back in 2002, Lake Erie Regiment housed with Bandettes and San Diego Alliance for the div. II/III regional in Erie, and they all had a rehearsal day there on the day before the show. The staffs of all 3 corps got together and decided it would be neat for all the corps to do their final runthroughs for each other right before sunset. LER went first, and right before they started the sky just opened up and dropped giant buckets of rain. LER just performed anyway, with Bandettes and SDA standing there in the pouring rain. Now you all know what happens when it rains on corps' performance... unbridled emotion and energy!! And with the other two corps watching and cheering loudly as they got drenched, LER just fed off of that! The place was electric!! LER's members were actually crying after their run! Then everyone proceded to haul arse inside where Bandettes and San Diego Alliance did their runthroughs standing still, while everyone was still pretty wet.

Also, I heard a story about how back in the late 80's and early 90's, Madison and SCV had a special bond. In 1988, both corps were at a show that got rained out, so both corps (I think just the hornlines) were in the gym, so they decided to play through their shows for each other and they ended up blowing each other away.

Back in the mid-80s, Spirit and Garfield had a special bond. We toured with them an awful lot in 1983, 84, and 85. At the Toldedo Key to the Sea show in 84, their Equipment truck had problems and none of their equipment made it to the show. They borrowed literally everything...our crappy Olds horns, Ludwig percussion, and even our flags. It was something to watch and hear our equipment look so #### good on the field that afternoon.

A couple of days later, Garfield performed a private concert just for Spirit in the parking lot after the show in St Louis. What an incredible sound to stand in the middle of that horn arc. A couple of days later, we returned the favor and performed for the Cadets. It hyped us to see the reigning champion standing in our arc going nuts for us. After that we started playing some concerts together after shows were over. Most notably I remember the two corps setting up a concert arc on the field in Birmingham and playing "Georgia" together. Talk about loud! I wish I had a recording of that.

We remained close "friends" for a few years. We were also close friends with Suncoast, although we never played with them. We hated to lose to them, but we did have many friends in the corps. Of course, if push came to shove, either of us would have helped out the other if it was ever needed. I miss that old rivalry!