Salaries for caption heads, techs, etc...

I read on a CG website that their budget for this season was around 30K. It had listed 4K which was allocated for instructor salaries. Are any of the corp's designers, captions heads, techs etc.. making enough to keep them around year after year? I know plenty who teach corps for the love of it and to give back to the activity, but with the way our economy is, how do they afford to take a summer off for minimal amount of money when the alternative is to work teaching summer school, private lessons or just taking a temporary job to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table? I know the majority of the corps are all working a on shoestring budget, but is the thought of making more money by switching corps the reason we are seeing well known staffers in new surroundings?

Salaries vary from corps to corps. But basically a designer can range anywhere from $4,000- to as large as a comfortable 5 digit salary.

It depends on many factors...budget, designers ability, longevity etc.....

I do not think $$$ is a reason for going from corps to corps for these instructors...after all this is not the NFL or MLB. For myself, my drum corps salary was approx 1/10th to 1/8th of my yearly income. It was more like my expensive hobby than a way to pay bills.

There were years (in the mid-late 90's) where I made over $20,000 doing drum corps and there were years I did it for less than $2,500. It all depended on the organization and my role/time committment.

My first year teaching (1991) I did it for free!

There are a few people that have careered this activity as a "designer or instructor."

But, IMO many people do it becuase they have a love for the activity.

However there are many residuals for writing/teaching a top corps.

Gigs in the band world tend pay much more...not to mention the international scene (Japan & England), or even some of the DCA corps. Also judging in the WGI and Marching Band circuits around the county seem to be a way these writers/teachers can make ends meet during the year.

SInce we are on the topic...most corps pay through a 1099 independent contractor tax set-up...which sometimes can create more work on the instructors part to save receipts and document all expenses for each separate contract they may have throughout the year. (If you do the work, it can pay off, but if you don't it can be ugly:-)

Not sure if this answers your question but at least it should get some conversation going on this topic?

Edited by Ageout90

Speaking as a tech.......you don't work with a corps for the money. I think any of us would say that. I can't tell you how much I've learned and brought back to my various band/guard programs reguarding technique, management, and just how to evolve an idea to a truly great show.