N.Y. Skyliners Percussion Members Perform at New York City Center

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Luis. We did the E. F. Hutton commercial. I think it was during the '81 season (or perhaps 1982 or a little later 83?) because during our drill we did a visual where the whole corps stopped with our hand to our ear and LISTENED ! ! ! :P

I personally was not able to get the day off for the filming, but the Skyliners who did go had an enjoyable and memorable experience.

I also remember performing with the Skyliners at the re-opening of the Hayden Planetarium . . . we marched into the planetarium from various doors playing, and then led the high profile guests on a parade through the the Museum of Natural History to the room with the whale hanging in it, where they had a dinner waiting for them. A lot of fun but a little strange to be playing in a museum!

Another year (sometime in the 80's), we played for a party (don't remember for whom) on the Intrepid Museum. And in 1980, we marched in the parade for the American hostages who had returned from captivity in Iran. It was a ticker tape parade, and we ended up just playing, "New York, New York" because the people loved it. This was a joint effort of marching members and alumni since it was in the middle of the day, and a great, great honor. A ticker tape parade is New York at its finest!

Thanks,

Doreen

i belive it was 81

I carried a tympani in that ticker tape parade, in 80. Goosebumps just thinking about it.

Sean

Thanks, Sean, for clarifying the 1981 date for the E. F. Hutton commercial.

Plus, you carried a TIMPANI in the American Hostage PARADE? How times change, huh? Nowadays no one would consider MARCHING a timpani.

That was an unbelievable experience. We were close enough getting together at the parade to see some of the hostages in convertibles a few feet from us. Marching in Manhattan, down Broadway in a ticker tape parade playing "New York, New York" for unknown number of people. I still have the yellow ribbon that they gave us at some point tied to my old mellophone case.

Doreen

Edited by NY Skyliners PR

wow, i can't really describe tonight but ...WOW.... it was truly an amazing experience....it's not everyday an opportunity like this comes up.... i got to meet alot of famous people and talk with them (meryl streep, zach braff, idina menzel, chuck cooper, savion glover, ben stiller, rosie perez, natalie portman, etc..) ... after the performance i got to hang out at the after party with all of them ... they are all Really nice people ... chuck in particular, for making me feel comfortable before goin on stage ( i was so nervous since im afraid of heights and i was on scaffolding above the ground) ... and this was such a huge opportunity for the corps .. who knows the possibilities that could come of this ... i would do this all over again in a heartbeat ...... wow ..... :) :) :) :)

wow, i can't really describe tonight but ...WOW.... it was truly an amazing experience....it's not everyday an opportunity like this comes up.... i got to meet alot of famous people and talk with them (meryl streep, zach braff, idina menzel, chuck cooper, savion glover, ben stiller, rosie perez, natalie portman, etc..) ... after the performance i got to hang out at the after party with all of them ... they are all Really nice people ... chuck in particular, for making me feel comfortable before goin on stage ( i was so nervous since im afraid of heights and i was on scaffolding above the ground) ... and this was such a huge opportunity for the corps .. who knows the possibilities that could come of this ... i would do this all over again in a heartbeat ...... wow ..... :) :) :) :)

Philberg Says: Maybe there will be an oppportunity to perform at Dorney Park.

Philberg Says: Maybe there will be an oppportunity to perform at Dorney Park.

Man thats one thing I miss about performing in Allentown, spending the day before the show in Dorney Park.

Another year (sometime in the 80's), we played for a party (don't remember for whom) on the Intrepid Museum.

I think that was for Verizon in '88. Wow...that's so long ago but seems like yesterday. It was a nice 15 minute gig.