Case Repair?

Shadow_7

I've gotten a few new used horns recently. Some of them have case defects. Actually most of them do. Some more defective than others.

Should I find a shop that repairs cases? Or should I attempt it myself. If DIY, then how. Two of my cases have the mouthpiece box no longer attached internally and otherwise free floating around in the case. Most of the others are missing handles, latch loops, and/or need to have their metal corners renailed to the case. Anyone know how to best refurbish these cases? Or is this something a local shop can do and be worth the money? I'd like them to be airport safe, as in able to survive airport baggage handlers. And I otherwise don't want to lose additional parts while in transit.

I've gotten a few new used horns recently. Some of them have case defects. Actually most of them do. Some more defective than others.

Should I find a shop that repairs cases? Or should I attempt it myself. If DIY, then how. Two of my cases have the mouthpiece box no longer attached internally and otherwise free floating around in the case. Most of the others are missing handles, latch loops, and/or need to have their metal corners renailed to the case. Anyone know how to best refurbish these cases? Or is this something a local shop can do and be worth the money? I'd like them to be airport safe, as in able to survive airport baggage handlers. And I otherwise don't want to lose additional parts while in transit.

Where in Texas are you located? My Father is in Plano, and would be able to repair them back to new. PM me if you are interested.

I've dabble'd in case repair. I relined a Late 1950 Vac-A-Bond Olds Trombone case, and also re-dyed the outer plastic from that poo brown to a more pleasant burgundy color.

Pic is of the new liner I did. No Sew.. All Glue! Not all are that easy..

If I have a good portion of the shell to make templates of I can reproduce almost any wooden case. Vac molded cases are a almost junk once chunks are missing. I can fix them with fiberglass but it isn't pretty

Case02.jpg